[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I frequently wonder why otherwise competent scholars come up with statements like this one:

---
Although chemical analysis indicated that several cave jars were made from clay found near Qumran, it also showed material from five other locations, suggesting that the scrolls might have originated in many different sites.
---

How? All it suggests is that the JARS might have originated in many different sites. It says nothing at all about the scrolls therein.

Maybe they are presuming that the jars were made at the very location that the scrolls were written and then immediately shoved inside them. (the scrolls into the jars that is).

It really isn't outside the realm of possibility is it that if scrolls are being produced jars are also being produced at the same location to store them in?

Mind you, I don't think there was an Essene encampment at Qumran. I think it was as Hirschfeld saw it (but alas, that's a minority viewpoint!)

best

jim

--
Jim West, ThD