Agreed those things are possible.  But it's equally possible that they (whoever
they were; I
agree with you about the whole Essene thing) just bought jars wherever they
could and put
scrolls they had already made into them.  That's my gripe: the article goes
immediately from
"jars from different sites" to "the scrolls had to have come from the same
places."  It's a
flying leap, nothing more, but the average reader isn't going to pick that up.

On 7 Mar 2007 at 11:53, Jim West wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I frequently wonder why otherwise competent scholars come up with
> > statements like this
> > one:
> >
> > ---
> > Although chemical analysis indicated that several cave jars were made from
> > clay found near
> > Qumran, it also showed material from five other locations, suggesting that
> > the scrolls might
> > have originated in many different sites.
> > ---
> >
> > How?  All it suggests is that the JARS might have originated in many
> > different sites.  It says
> > nothing at all about the scrolls therein.
>

> Maybe they are presuming that the jars were made at the very location
> that the scrolls were written and then immediately shoved inside them.
> (the scrolls into the jars that is).
>
> It really isn't outside the realm of possibility is it that if scrolls
> are being produced jars are also being produced at the same location to
> store them in?
>
> Mind you, I don't think there was an Essene encampment at Qumran.  I
> think it was as Hirschfeld saw it (but alas, that's a minority viewpoint!)
>
> best
>
> jim
>

> --
> Jim West, ThD
>
> http://drjewest.googlepages.com/  -- Biblical Studies Resources
> http://drjimwest.wordpress.com  -- Weblog

Dave Washburn
"Bash the ground until bananas come out."