----- Original Message -----
From: David Stacey
To: Joe Zias
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Megillot] Qumran cemetery, once again...

Joe,  Please remember that my article was essentially about the archaeology of
the aqueducts and I have not gone deeply into the cemetery. I did not say that
all the graves in Qumran were of paupers, those corpses being brought in from
e.g. Callirhoe and Nabatea would not be those of paupers. You contradict
yourself because you say that  the graves are of "those individuals who lived
and died there" and yet. at the same time, you say that "a large number of
burials are secondary burials" which, as they were in coffins, would have come
from outside Qumran. I don't think that you have given enough thought to what
would happen to a pauper who died on the streets of e.g. Jerusalem. Certainly
his family, if he even had one, could not have paid for ANY form of burial yet
it would have been a mitzvah to bury him. A 'burial society' would find the
cheapest way to dispose of the corpse and a burial in Qumran, where a few
graves could  be dug in advance, would be far cheaper, even having to schlep
the body hurriedly there, than any form of grave near to Jerusalem which would
have to be cut into bedrock. By your own admission many of the burials came
from outside of Qumran so how can it provide conclusive proof about the
inhabitants? If by 'fringe theorists' you mean that I identify Qumran as a
fringe suburb of the royal estate in Jericho (which, as you know,  I helped
excavate for over ten years and know intimately) then I am indeed a fringe
theorist!

David Stacey