        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Søren
Holst
        Sent: August 29, 2007 6:26 AM
        To: g-megillot
        Subject: [Megillot] DSS Aramaic dictionary?

        It surprised me to find that M. Sokoloff's recent (well, 2003)
"Dictionary of Judean Aramaic" does not include the Qumran material (but does
include documentary texts from the Dead Sea region). His methodologically sound
reasons may be deduced from the preface of the book, so I'm certainly not
blaming him, but until he or the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon project comes up
with one or more dictionaries of the Aramaic dialects represented in the DSS,
what's the best solution to the practical problem of telling students where to
look up words?

        -- K. Beyer's ATTM+E covers all the material, but while Beyer is a
great philologist, his reconstructions of manuscripts can be a bit
idiosyncratic, I think.
        -- It might be convenient to use the Aramaic part of Abegg's
concordance as a glossary to start with, I guess.
        -- My usual first stop-off is Sokoloff's dictionary of "Jewish
Palestinian Aramaic", anachronistic as this may be (it's primarily a dictionary
of the Yerushalmi and related midrashim and targumim).
        -- I seem to remember that list owner Penner has produced quite copious
vocabulary lists, but hardly an actual dictionary, right?

        any suggestions?

        kol tuv
        Soren

        Søren Holst, assistant professor, Ph.D., Faculty of Theology,
University of Copenhagen, Købmagergade 44-46, POB 2164, DK-1150 Copenhagen K
        Phone: +45 35 32 35 80, Fax: +45 35 32 36 52