Hello,

I occasionally find myself wanting to save a partition (or disk)
image to a file on a local drive, such as a USB flash drive.  I
generally wind up wanting to archive or manipulate these images
on a Linux system.

My question originates from the fact that g4u has an understandably
limited selection of tools and filesystem drivers.  What I'm looking
for is a way to address the following two scenarios: (1) Is there an
FS can I use to format the portable drive on Linux which will have
r/w support on both Linux & g4u?  And, (2) Is there an FS I can use
for which formatting tools exist on g4u, and which has r/w support
on both systems?

The last time I played with this on g4u-2.3 I seem to remember
that my Linux box had poor FFS support, and g4u didn't have FAT32
or EXT support.  But, I may have missed something obvious -- I'm
not very well versed in BSD tools or filesystems.  :-)

Also, purely tangentially -- and just as a matter of curiosity --
why do the savepart/restorepart scripts live in the metaphorical
twilight zone of the distribution?  I've never used them, and I
haven't looked at them closely, however it appears as though they
might generally serve a very useful purpose...

In any event, I would be very grateful for any suggestions!  Thank
you for your time.

Hannes.