Go Nikhil Rao, go! IIRC (I was one of the original authors), we limited
each batch to exactly one MTU (and either hardcoded or configured that
length, don't remember off-hand).

That's probably still required, since you really don't want to deal with
fragmentation on multicast.

Also, since the timestamp is batch-wide, we would flush (send) either when
we had a second sample for something that was buffered, we hit the buffer
size, or we processed a metric outside our normal interval (e.g., more than
15s after the first metric was buffered). In the first implementation, the
batches were all fed from a script that sampled a number of underlying
systems, so it would just flush whenever it had completed its loop.

I'm sure the team @ Quantcast has improved the process since then.... I'm
really happy to see somebody moving forward with getting it open sourced.

-- ReC