Here's my scenario.  I've got some systems that were happily reporting
in ganglia and they had to have their OS'es rebuilt.  They're now
running RHEL 6.5.

I can be on my gmetad server, and tcpdump looking for packets from host1
and host2 and only see one.  Both host1 & host2 are running with the
exact same gmond.conf configuration... same port.   They both appear to
be running correctly.  But one shows more activity than the other when I
run a 'netstat -an | grep 8204'  (8204 is the port they run on).   When
I run 'telnet localhost 8204' on them both, they show me all the xml
data that they're sending out.  Both gmond clients are sending their
multicast traffic across the same network also.

But the server only seems to want to pick up one at a time.  In my
gmetad.conf file, the data_source line for this port only has two
entries... host1:8204 host2:8204 (and these hosts are the fully
qualified domain names... on the same network that the two hosts are
sending their multicast across on).   I can have both gmond's running
but only one seems to generate all the tcp  connections (like you see
via 'netstat -an | grep 8204') where the other one doesn't.  The one
that does is the one I see on my gmetad server.

On the gmetad server, I can run tcpdump on the appropriate network
interface and look for traffic coming from my host1 and host2.  I can
only see one at a time.  I should see both my hosts.  I make that
assumption because I can run that same type of command on another port
for other hosts that are on it and get back results.... lots of
different hosts showing up because I have lots of hosts on that
particular port.

Here's what I'm guessing are the relevant entries from the gmond.conf
file on my two hosts in question:

/* The host section describes attributes of the host, like the location */
host {
   location = "unspecified"
}

/* Feel free to specify as many udp_send_channels as you like.  Gmond
    used to only support having a single channel */
udp_send_channel {
   #bind_hostname = yes # Highly recommended, soon to be default.
                        # This option tells gmond to use a source address
                        # that resolves to the machine's hostname.  Without
                        # this, the metrics may appear to come from any
                        # interface and the DNS names associated with
                        # those IPs will be used to create the RRDs.
   mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
   port = 8204
   ttl = 1
}

/* You can specify as many udp_recv_channels as you like as well. */
udp_recv_channel {
   mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
   port = 8204
   bind = 239.2.11.71
}

/* You can specify as many tcp_accept_channels as you like to share
    an xml description of the state of the cluster */
tcp_accept_channel {
   port = 8204
}

Any insight would be appreciated.  :)

Thanks,
-chris

--
Chris Jones
SSAI - ASDC Senior Systems Administrator