I haven't used the log tailer, but in principle it should work if you
configure Tomcat logging correctly. The overhead of tailing log files
shouldn't be significant for low volume web sites. For high volumes,
the embedded sFlow modules scale better.

There are currently sFlow implementations for Apache, Tomcat, NGINX,
HAproxy, and Node.js:

http://www.sflow.net/relatedlinks.php

F5 and A10 load balancers also support sFlow.