Hi,

We recently updated our Linux kernel to Centos 7. In addition we also updated
ganglia from 3.5.0 to 3.7.2. Now when gathering metrics on a single system, the
syslog.txt file has numerous "/usr/sbin/gmond[4669]: Incorrect format for spoof
argument. exiting." error messages. I didn't see these error messages using
version 3.5.0. I programmatically change the override_hostname in the
gmond.conf file to the node's FQDN. I tried manually setting the override_ip
address, too, but that didn't help.

I've googled this error message and have seen some discussion here, but no
resolution: https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/issues/251.

Any idea why this changed in version 3.7.2?

It appears that some metric messages have the correct <ip_address>:<hostname>
format, and later the logs show the "Incorrect format" error messages:
# /usr/sbin/gmond -d 2
Processing a metric metadata message from CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net
***Allocating metadata packet for host--CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net--
and metric --tcp_unknown-- ****

saving metadata for metric: tcp_unknown host:
CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net
spoofName: CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net    spoofIP: 10.25.12.23

Processing a metric value message from CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net
***Allocating value packet for
host--10.25.12.23:CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net-- and metric
--tcp_unknown-- ****

Got a spoof message tcp_unknown from
10.25.12.23:CLW-VM-GOS-8-1.devnet.myoverland.net

[tcp] Request for XML data received.
[tcp] Request for XML data completed.
        sent message 'tcp_lastack' of length 40 with 0 errors
        sent message 'tcp_closing' of length 40 with 0 errors
        sent message 'tcp_unknown' of length 40 with 0 errors
Incorrect format for spoof argument. exiting.

spoofIP:

buff:

Incorrect format for spoof argument. exiting.

spoofIP:

buff:

Thanks,
Charissa L. Willard