20.02.2014 01:58, Matt Glover wrote:
Gaupol itself works just fine but I've tried following every install aid
I can find through Google to get speech recognition going, and all the
tests work out but the menu option never gets enabled!

I'm sorry about the confusion. Speech recognition only ever worked on Gaupol 0.19.x. And even for that version the Debian packaging didn't have time to catch up since the required pocketsphinx speech recognition library wasn't packaged in Debian.

After 0.19.x I migrated Gaupol to Python 3 and GStreamer 1.0, which broke the speech recogniton, since the pocketsphinx GStreamer plugin is still not ported to GStreamer 1.0 [1]. At first I thought it would appear soon, but it now rather seems that the GStreamer plugin was nothing more than yet another unsupported dead-end sidetrack of academic-style development. I'll probably just remove the confusing menu item soon.

It might be possible for you to run Gaupol 0.19.2 and maybe I can help if you provide some details, but my advice is to forget about it. It's not even that great; people who have tried Gaupol's speech recognition have in general been disappointed. And later versions have more interesting stuff, like the integrated video player added in 0.23.

 [1] http://sourceforge.net/p/cmusphinx/discussion/help/thread/6a286ad1/

--
Osmo Salomaa <otsal...@iki.fi>