From: mitr cbo <mitr....@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/9/6
Subject: ORW Harrased
To: ti_ds...@yahoo.com, adit.b...@gmail.com, adi...@bamon.org, l...@bamon.org,
roopeshchet...@gmail.com

Dear Sir,

Around 8.35 Pm of this evening I received calls from my outreach workers and
peers that they were harassed at their outreach site (Hot Spot), looted, and
beaten up by three men claiming them to be police in civil dress, they also
shouted on our outreach workers saying that they are doing bad work of
spreading homosexuality and promoting gay sex by distributing free condoms.
Outreach workers and peers were shown knife and were threatened badly and
also these three men snatched 300 rupees from one of Outreach Workers.

After speaking to me over phone I ask them to immediately go to police
station and lodge an FIR (First Investigation Report). At the police station
beside immediately taking action one of the police officer behaved very
badly with all the staff and asked one of the outreach worker to call up his
father so that the police can speak to him. When this outreach worker called
me and handed over phone to the police officer he just kept repeating and
saying that I want to speak to this fellow’s father and disconnected the
phone. It was absolutely intricate to understand why this police officer
wanted to speak to the father.

After my continues calling to the outreach worker on his cell phone, he
picked it up and said after much of dispute within the police men and them
one constable is accompanying them at the point of incident. After my second
call around 9.30 Pm, Mitr’s Outreach worker said that police are now ready
to write down FIR.

Till now I have only this information in tits and bits. But my question with
entire of this incident is:

   - Beside taking immediate action police men harassed them so badly
   - For what reason outreach worker was ask to call up his father
   - The officer was not even ready to hear my words even when I said him
   very clearly that we are running DSACS program Supported by *Delhi
   Government* over phone.
   - Is there any kind of community coordinator available from SACAS, who
   can help us in any hour especially for these kind of incidents.
   - We have been ignored for advocacy meeting with them for one or other
   reasons.

There are many more issues but at present Is there any kind of security I
can afford to promise my community members and volunteers, I understand it’s
difficult for me to do so but things can be improvised and quickly there is
need of some kind of program on a bigger level to advocate these agency’s
and bureaus, so that the kind of hamper we and other Organisation like us
are facing to running the intervention properly will not happen.

Rupesh Chettri

Mitr Trust (MSM/TG CBO)

New Delhi