'Dreams of Taleem', Sachin Kudalkar's play built around the late Chetan Datar's
play 'Ek Madhavbagh' will have another performance on February 1st at Ravindra
Natya Mandir at Prabhadevi.

Since the play deals very directly with gay issues, both in itself and in 'Ek
Madhavbagh', the play's director, Sunil Shanbag has approached us to publicise
this performance and also perhaps to help with group bookings. I'm certainly
happy to help with publicising what I thought was an exceptionally interesting
play, and we can do group bookings (or just go as a group) if people are
interested.

I should point out here that Dreams of Taleem has been discussed on GB before
by Vivek Anand, and he did not have a positive view of it, both personally and
as a friend of Chetan's. Here's a link to his mail, which please read so you
get a different perspective on the play:

My view was that the play was very ambitious, and perhaps tried to do too many
things and was a bit confusing at times. But it had an excellent production
from Sunil Shanbag and his team, the performances were heartfelt and that it
was a really interesting and challenging production.

And it confirmed my view that Sachin Kudalkar is one of the most fascinating
young creative artists at the moment, whose work has to be seen. He is always
trying something new, trying to extend his boundaries, while keeping a firm
grip on the reality of how his characters live and feel.

He may not always succeed and one may not always agree with him, but his work
has to be seen. We've seen it with his short films like 'The Bath' and 'Dhruv &
I' and his play 'Chottiyasha Suttit'. I haven't read his novel Cobalt Blue or
seen his first film, but I saw his last film 'Gandha' which is three short
films in one. Again its really interesting, though not gay themed. (To
compensate, it has Milind Soman, looking GREAT, in one segment, but this is not
the best segment).

Dreams of Taleem is built around Ek Madhavbagh, and in the course of the play
the whole of Ek Madhavbagh gets performed, though by different people rather
than the monologue it was earlier. This can occasionally get confusing, and I
was wondering how people who didn't know Ek Madhavbagh would deal with it (I
have never seen it, but I've read the script), but I was with friends who had
neither seen or read it, and once they got the idea - which Shanbag explains at
the start -they were fine.

But you can see how it can get confusing! Ek Madhavbagh is already a play where
the actress breaks out of the 'script' to talk to the audience, and now you
have another play built around that play, with the 'playwright' of Ek
Madhavbagh - who isn't named as Chetan, though its not hard to see why he is
taken as him - also part of this larger play, but not in person, just as emails
read out by the performers. One could see this as confusing, but I found it
exhilarating - this was a play which challenged you to keep up, and thanks to
Shanbag's production, I think one could.

Here, hopefully without giving away too much, is what happens. A young actor
Yash is rehearsing Ek Madhavbagh, directed by his partner Aney. You get a lot
about the relationship between the two and I think the actors did a good, if
not great job. The roles require a lot of very open (but not erotic!) intimacy
between the two, and I can see that must have been a challenge.

Rehearsing leads to a dispute which (as often happens...) leads to intimacy
when they are interrupted by a call. A famous actress, Sita, who hasn't acted
for years, has heard they are doing this Ek Madhavbagh and is willing to act
the role (its a monologue). So they drop what they are doing - meaning they
don't drop their pants! - and run over to her place to meet her.

And the first person they meet is not Sita, but her mother. Who's in a
wheelchair and has got some combination of Alzheimer's and Tourette's because
she has both lost her mind but gained a formidable knowledge of very colourful
abuse, which she spews out at great length and passion (the play is nominally
in Hindi-English-Marathi, but essentially the Marathi is the mother's abuses!)

The mother adds energy to the play, but may seem a confusing figure. Yet I
think she's not if you look at the play in another way - not about being gay
(or not just that), but about being a mother. Ek Madhavbagh is a mother's
monologue, the actress who delivers it reacts as a mother, the actress in the
play that Aney wants to act Ek Madhavbagh speaks about her own ambiguous
experience of motherhood, towards the end Aney has a long, anguished phonecall
with his mother - and right through it all goes this potent image of the mad
mother, to who Sita must take on a mother's role. This seems to me to be one
layer in the play. Between Ek Madhavbagh and Dreams of Taleen, between the
characters, there is a constant dialogue on what being a mother and being a
child means.

Being gay, of course, is another layer and this comes from Ek Madhavbagh and
also from the problems Aney and Yash have in getting their families to accept
their sexuality and their relationship with each other. Sita's problems in
dealing with their sexuality - and how it affects her interpretation of her Ek
Madhavbagh role - is also an issue, and this one with a happier conclusion.
Sita does become a friend to Aney in the end, helping him deal with the
problems his sexuality has caused him, including Yash's apparent abandonment of
him.

This apparent abandonment, when Yash is forced to go home, possibly to get
married, leads to one of the oddest moments in the play, and perhaps the one
that could have been dispensed with - though it has some compensations... This
is a dream sequence where Yash, before leaving, calls two angels and asks them
to take care of Aney when he is away. This sudden bit of magic realism is a bit
odd, though it does establish the closeness between the couple. And the
compensation is that the angels are played by two very cute shirtless guys!

The last layer in the play was about the theatre world itself and the
frustrations of doing plays, specifically Marathi plays. Aney is committed to
the theatre, but knows that few others are. Sita was once committed to the
theatre, but then left it, and now is returning for one last time, or is she?
Through them we get a continuous conversation on the relevance, if any, of
theatre, and what the theatre does to those who take part in it - and since
this is in a play in itself, there's an automatically reflexive conversation
going on.

And here, finally, you have the unseen playwright, who has become a recluse,
and only communicates through sardonic, knowing, cynical emails that are read
out, yet one more commentary on the theatre. And this, I think, was perhaps the
most controversial part of the play, though here one did have to know a bit
about Chetan. This may not have been Sachin's intent, but plays are formed
between playwright, director, performers and viewers too, and this is what I
got from it.

The details of Chetan's death have been discussed on other lists like
lgbt-india, so I don't need to go into it, except to make this point -it may
have been unncessary. Chetan chose not to take treatment that could have kept
him alive, and the question is why? What I got from 'Dreams of Taleem' is the
question of what drove him to this despair, making him a recluse like the
playwright in the play? Were we responsible in any way? Was anyone? Could
anything have reached out and convinced him? Or was it a choice that must be
respected, bleak as it is?

If these are the questions posed by 'Dreams of Taleem' - and I fully accept I
am going out on a limb, and probably reading into the play something Sachin and
Sunil Shanbag never intended - then there are no clear answers. In that sense I
agree with Vivek that this is a bleak play. Yet in another way its not, because
perhaps it suggests that if there are no easy solutions of automatic love from
parents, from others, but there is also the strength we can find in ourselves.

Yash and Aney deal with their demons and are reunited and find some friendship
too from Sita, someone else who has dealt with her demons and come to an
acceptance of herself. And for the viewers we will have had the experience of
being challenged, forced to think, to question easy platitudes about love and
acceptance, and perhaps to come to solutions of our own.

Whether you agree with this or not, I think 'Dreams of Taleem' really needs to
be seen, so please think of being with us on February 1st at Ravindra Natya
Mandir. Mail me directly at vg...@yahoo.co.uk if you want a ticket booked for
you.

Vikram