Goolam Vahanvati, the ex-Attorney General of India passed away yesterday from a
heart attack. He was much in the news in the last years of the previous
government particularly for having to defend some dubious legal decisions. But
what should matter to us is that he was a supporter of decriminalisation of
homosexuality, both from before he became A-G and while he was serving.

The full text of the article below is from a column he used to write in the
Asian Age (hat tip to Nitin for posting it on the GB list long back) and was
written before he became A-G and while we were fighting the matter in the Delhi
High Court. The Union of India was against us at that time and it is
significant that Vahanvati, who was a well known senior lawyer, was willing to
take a public stand at that time.

When he became A-G I remember hearing speculation that he would not stick to
his earlier stand when the matter came up in the Supreme Court. He was the
first Muslim A-G and there were rumours he was under pressure from
fundamentalist Muslim opinions not to support LGBT rights. And it did seem that
was in the first chaotic days of the SCI arguments when the government lawyer
who had opposed us in the High Court got up to reiterate the arguments.

Almost immediately another government lawyer got up to say that he was wrong,
but the damage was done and the judges were annoyed and demanded the A-G come
to clarify matters. I remember we speculated he would not and just avoid the
case, but to Vahanvati's credit he came towards the end and fully supported us
and said the law needed to change. Sadly, the judges didn't listen to him.

The links below show Vahanvati saying, as far as he could, that the SCI
decision was wrong. And the other link shows him arguing in an international
forum (hat tip to Aditya for posting this) that contrary to what our opponents
argue ancient India did not see homosexuality in a very bad light. RIP
MrVahanvati, we will need more allies like you.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/edit-page/Law-cant-remain-static-Government-told-SC-that-Section-377-didnt-reflect-Indian-values/articleshow/27246846.cms?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Ancient-India-didnt-think-homosexuality-was-against-nature/articleshow/4708206.cms

Straight On
- By Goolam E. Vahanvati

A public interest litigation has been filed challenging the
constitutional validity of Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code.
Section 377 is said to make homosexuality a crime. The Union of India
is opposing the petition.

The affidavit filed by the Union of India in this petition has made
headlines recently. The petition seeks to delete the provisions of
law which makes homosexuality a criminal offence on the ground that
it discriminates against homosexuals. The Union of India has opposed
the petition contending that Indian society is not yet ready to
accept the legalisation of homosexuality.

Section 377 is in three parts. It talks of carnal
intercourse "against the order of nature." These are the key words.
What really goes against the "order of nature?" What does nature
order? Gay activists would argue that this is an outdated concept.
They are probably right. More interestingly Section 377 prohibits
carnal intercourse against the order of nature of any man, woman or
animal. The chapter and the section are entitled "Unnatural
Offences." The explanation provides that there must be penetration to
construe carnal intercourse. Carnal intercourse is sexual
intercourse. It would follow that male homosexuality would be a crime
in this country but lesbianism would not. And they talk of gender
discrimination!

In England buggery is no longer an offence if committed in private
between two consenting adults above a certain age. This is the view
now in most advanced countries. In America the Supreme Court recently
struck down the provisions of some state laws making homosexuality a
crime on the ground that it violates the right of privacy. It is
argued that what two persons of consenting age do in the privacy of

their home is not the concern of society. This is a strong argument.
People have the right to lead their lives, privately, so long as they
do not affect others. Some states like Canada had gone further and is
contemplating making homosexual marriage valid. America has not
accepted this. A serious controversy rages.

In several western states there is a huge division in society with
regard not only to making homosexuality legal but also with regard to
legalising homosexual marriages. Society is divided deeply on
religious and social lines and it is obvious that the debate is not
going to die down in the near future. People are understandably
worked up on both sides of divided opinions.

Our country has always a rather lopsided approach towards sex. There
is a lot of promiscuity around, but it is shrouded in secrecy and
hypocrisy. It is rather similar to what used to happen in England two

hundred years ago. Things were more or less what it is like here now.
They did everything but pretended to be prudes. But things have
changed. And how. To appreciate the extent of social revolution one
needs to take a glimpse into history.

In Lawrence James' brilliant book on the Raj, The Making and Unmaking
of British India, he has devoted a lot of attention to sex in British
India. This applies to the period even before the Queen took over. He
has placed interesting material on how things went on in Britain and
British India. He brings out the social contrast. It fully
illustrates how things change and how the world's attitudes change.

taboo. Homosexuality was a sin. In Britain buggery was a capital
crime until 1861. Between 1800 and 1835, 50 men were actually hanged
for sodomy. There was a strong antipathy towards homosexuality and
homosexuals were not only publicly ridiculed but actually
pilloried. "Pilloried" ordinarily means public ridicule. It could
also mean "torn apart." That is what they actually did. This is what
the mobs wanted.

James writes of London streetwalkers in 1810 who vigorously threw
stones at a group of homosexuals. The mob was even more incensed when
they came to know that some of the accused were coal heavers,
butchers and blacksmiths. These were "manly" occupations and
such "men" could not possibly be allowed to indulge in such vile acts
against the order of nature. It was unthinkable. Some felt that these
degenerate practices came into British society from the notorious
Turks. The mob would shout, "Hang them in chains. Pillory them. Hang
the dogs."

And so what did such people do? They were hounded in England and had
to escape from there. They decided to come to India where life was
much more easy. It was easiest in the Army. The officers had a field
day. And then India had so many diversions. We are not known for our
variety for nothing. Of particular attraction were the eunuchs though
one critic condemned them as "carrying on very extensive and
abominable trade of unnatural prostitution."

>From James' book one gets the impression that the Army had quite a
few British officers who merrily indulged themselves over helpless
subordinates. But it was not always so easy. Sometimes they got into

trouble as did one Lieutenant Colonel Edward Smythe of Fifth Madras
Cavalry who made a pass at one Muhammad Lal who turned violent and
tried to murder him.

Those were the days when India was the permissive society and England
was a place in which only the upper lip could be described as being
stiff. Things have turned full circle. Even Oscar Wilde is now likely
to be reinstated but in our country the right of persons to live
their lives privately and on their own terms may take quite some time
to achieve recognition.

There are several sections in the Indian Penal Code which are
anachronistic in a changed world. Section 377 is a prime example. As
a matter of fact, Section 377 as it stands, would have made what
Clinton did to Monica Lewinsky or rather what Monica Lewinsky
provided to Clinton, an offence. I am being discreet, because after
all, some things can only be dealt with orally and cannot be put down
on paper! The crucial words are "against the order of nature." The
possibilities are immense and the imagination can well run riot.
Perhaps the way out is now to argue that nature and its various
orders have themselves changed.

In a lighter vein, I am rather intrigued that this section also
covers animals. I wonder who the complainant would be, if
the "victim" is an animal. This reminds me of an incident narrated by
David Niven in his autobiography The Moon is a Balloon. He relates
how at one dinner he had sat next to a colonel of the British Indian
Army who proudly boasted, with a straight face, that he had "******"
women of all nationalities and all kinds of animals. I am sure Niven
must have been envious of the first claim but I am not quite sure how
he must have reacted to the second!
  • g_b RIP Goolam Vahanvati, an ... Vikram D vg...@yahoo.co.uk [gay_bombay]