One last post on Pride (at least for now!). The film seems to have made some
wonderful music choices. Obviously '80s disco hits that most of us are familiar
with - note Karma Chameleon playing in the dance clip, before giving way to
Shame Shame Shame where the gay guy teaches the miners how to dance.

But the lessons go both ways, and at another moment the miners and their wives
show that they know the meaning of solidarity too when they sing - starting
with one woman, then all the other women and finally the men joining in - the
old Labour rights song 'Bread & Roses'.

Its a great choice because 'Bread & Roses' is the one Labour movement song that
specifically brings in gender, since it is a song about women's activism and
how it is part of the larger struggle. And its message is important for all
kinds of activism - the fight is not just for survival (bread) but for respect
and happiness (roses) and a life beyond just surviving.

It is an important message for us in the lgbt rights movement because so often
we are asked, even by well meaning people, why we are bothering with issues
like sexuality when so many people are starving in India. Personal identity,
they seem to say, is a luxury that we can't bother with in the face of so many
basic problems.

But this is a false and deeply patronising division. No one argues that basic
rights of hunger and health are vital, but people aren't insensate beings with
just those needs (and anyway, even animals need more than just being fed). Even
the poorest and most suffering person needs respect and a chance for more than
just survival and this is what the songs says: "Hearts starve as well as
bodies; give us bread, but give us roses!"

Here's a link to the song as it is sung in the film and also Joan Baez's
version and the full lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ISkeEc-9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkVcaAGCi0

Bread & Roses

    As we come marching, marching in the beauty of the day,
    A million darkened kitchens, a thousand mill lofts gray,
    Are touched with all the radiance that a sudden sun discloses,
    For the people hear us singing: "Bread and roses! Bread and roses!"

    As we come marching, marching, we battle too for men,
    For they are women's children, and we mother them again.
    Our lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes;
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses!

    As we come marching, marching, unnumbered women dead
    Go crying through our singing their ancient cry for bread.
    Small art and love and beauty their drudging spirits knew.
    Yes, it is bread we fight for -- but we fight for roses, too!

    As we come marching, marching, we bring the greater days.
    The rising of the women means the rising of the race.
    No more the drudge and idler -- ten that toil where one reposes,
    But a sharing of life's glories: Bread and roses! Bread and roses!