http://paper-bird.net/2014/11/07/tim-cooks-coming-out/

  New post on *a paper bird*
<http://paper-bird.net/author/scottlong1980/>  Tim Cook’s coming out:
Leaning in, trickling down
<http://paper-bird.net/2014/11/07/tim-cooks-coming-out/> by scottlong1980
<http://paper-bird.net/author/scottlong1980/>

[image: Poster - Coming Out Party_04]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/poster-coming-out-party_04.jpg>I've
lost interest in being gay. Not the sex; the slogans. This has been
gathering over time -- whose identity wouldn't shudder under the dark
suspicion it was shared with John Travolta
<http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s09e12-trapped-in-the-closet>?  --
but something changed when coming out stopped being a matter of
self-affirmation, with its secret thrill of hedonism, and became a moral
obligation. What's the fun of being yourself if you *have *to?

Everyone must be out now; and it's not enough to be out, you have to be out
enough to affirm the community, uplift the race. Thus Guy Branum ("writer
and comedian") has reprimanded Nate Silver, the numbers man, who announced
he was gay a couple of years ago. Silver topped off his moment of candor,
however, with a demurral: "I don't want to be Nate Silver, gay
statistician." Wrong.

*Silver's refusal to fully participate in gay identity is the real
problem *... We
can't behave like Nate Silver's choice to distance himself from gay culture
is just another choice. ... We need to make it safe for a statistician to
be gay *and* have it affect their work, because some people are gay, some
people are black, some people are women and all of those perspectives can
enrich all fields. Nate Silver being a gay statistician will help
that. *[emphasis
added]*

Just as Philip Roth *had *to be a Jewish novelist, and Toni Morrison *had *to
be a black writer, constrained in the gated communities of identity, so
"yes, Nate Silver, you have to be a gay statistician." Coming out isn't
just a public act because it's *addressed *to a public, but because it's
*owned *by one.

Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, came out this week, and oh the humanity. People
didn't just congratulate him; they hailed him as Moses or Martin Luther
King, as if he hadn't just written an op-ed in *Bloomberg Businessweek*
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay>but
had revised the Bible.

"Tim Cook’s announcement today will save countless lives. He has always
been a role model, but today millions across the globe will draw
inspiration from a different aspect of his life"

-- so said
<http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/tim-cook-takes-courageous-step-forward>Chad
Griffin of the Human RIghts Campaign. Apple is "a sponsor
<https://www.apple.com/diversity/>of the Human Rights Campaign" ("The work
we do with these groups is meaningful and inspiring," the company says).
While it's impossible to decipher how much money they ladle out, they
give enough to make them an HRC "Platinum Partner
<http://www.hrc.org/the-hrc-story/corporate-partners/platinum>." HRC thus
slobbers on the hand that feeds it. But *some* praise for Cook is unpaid.
The unbribeable *New York Times* quoted
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/technology/apple-chief-tim-cooks-coming-out-this-will-resonate.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0>
the unbribeable Lloyd Blankfein, of Goldman Sachs:  “He’s chief executive
of the Fortune One. Something has consequences because of who does it, and
this is Tim Cook and Apple. This will resonate powerfully.”

[image: A light in the darkness: Cook, with logo]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/1031_tim-cook-624x441.jpg>

A light in the darkness: Cook, with logo

I love my Apple swag, and God forbid I should be cynical. Yet for days
fulsome praise of Cook filled my Mac's screen, and I resisted just enough
to wonder where the enthusiasm came from. How will a rich executive's
painless revelation, offered at the apex of his career, change lives, even
save them? What do you mean, it will "resonate" -- where, with whom? What
does it say about our ritual public confessionals? What does it say about
*us?*

Start with this. The *New York **Times *quotes
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/technology/apple-chief-tim-cooks-coming-out-this-will-resonate.html?_r=0>"Richard
L. Zweigenhaft, co-author of *Diversity in the Power Elite: How It
Happened, Why it Matters* ... who has closely tracked the progress of
minorities in business." For Zweigenhaft, Cook's announcement inspired “the
same feeling that I had back in 1998, when many were speculating about when
the first African-American would be appointed a Fortune-level chief
executive.”

It's odd Zweigenhaft was speculating about that in 1998. The first
African-American head of a Fortune firm dates back to
<http://www.blackentrepreneurprofile.com/fortune-500-ceos/> 1987. (At least
by some counts.) So much for "closely monitoring." The man was Clifton
Wharton, and he was CEO and chairman of the pension behemoth TIAA-CREF.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIAA%E2%80%93CREF>***

[image: Jet Magazine, May 21, 1970, covers Clifton White's elevation to

university president. Note that a nun gets higher billing.]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/scan0088.jpg>

*Jet* magazine, May 21, 1970, covers Clifton White's elevation to
university president. Note that a nun gets higher billing.

Yet questions start. One is: How earthshaking is it for a minority to
run an enormous corporation if you don't even notice when it happens?
Another is: Why didn't African-Americans explode with joy? Thirteen black
men and one black woman have headed
<http://www.blackentrepreneurprofile.com/fortune-500-ceos/>Fortune 500
companies since then. The "African-American community" seems different from
the "gay community" (and not just because the "gay community," whenever you
hear the term, seems to mean a klatsch of people who are exclusively Clorox
white). African-Americans didn't hold a vast potlatch of rejoicing back
when Wharton got his job, nor when Franklin Raines
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Raines> took charge of Fannie Mae
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae> and Lloyd Ward
<http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_32/b3641001.htm> took over Maytag

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maytag> in 1999. Nor are those successes
lodged in some collective memory today. Wharton crops up, for instance, in
a book called *African American Firsts: Famous Little-Known and Unsung
Triumphs of Blacks
<http://www.amazon.com/African-American-Firsts-Little-Known-Triumphs/dp/0758241666>.
*Perhaps that's a warning to Tim Cook: you can go from *resonator,
life-saver* to *little-known, unsung *in the time it takes to get a gold
watch. Fame is a by-the-hour motel.

It's not that those people's strivings and stories aren't important. But
they haven't fed the same hyperbole that Cook has among the gays. It's's
presumptuous to generalize -- yet African-Americans seem to have different
priorities for celebration. Conservatives have, of course, a long history
of condemning "black cultural pathology": they cherish what Michael Eric
Dyson calls
<http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/race-rules-navigating-the-color-line-michael-dyson/1003567714?ean=9780201911862>"an
updated version of beliefs about black moral deficiency as ancient as the
black presence in the New World." For the Right, this refusal to deify the
capitalists in your community would be a prime case study. If ghetto kids
only read Ayn Rand and Horatio Alger, as infant gays do, then we wouldn't
have to gun them down! Lamenting the lack of a black John Galt is wrong in
many ways. It neglects the obvious fact that capitalism has appeared in
African-American history more as pathology than cure. John Galt himself,
copper-haired and green-eyed, might have had a complicated relationship to
private properties if his color made him one. There's plenty of room for
asking: *How, if a system's past is entwined with enslavement and
exploitation, can it suddenly start strewing opportunity? Where's
the catch? *

[image: Loves of the blondes: Dagny Taggart and John Galt fret over the law
of the tendency of the falling rate of profit, in recent film of Atlas
Shrugged]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/936106d2484f9e01a3b1743d402e368b.jpg>

Loves of the blondes: Dagny Taggart and John Galt fret over the law of the
tendency of the falling rate of profit, in recent film of *Atlas Shrugged*

Cornel West has written
<http://www.amazon.com/Race-Matters-Cornel-West/dp/0679749861> how
the "nihilism" he excoriates in black communities stems from "the
saturation of market forces and market moralities in black life." Yet Lloyd
Hogan, the African-American economist and theorist of black
empowerment, had a slightly different take. That negativity wasn't just
what the market left behind after scouring out all other values; "nihilism"
abjured superficial hope, but could nourish a sustaining culture of
resistance.

"Legally stolen African-American labor, transformed into non-Black material
wealth," long spelled "the physical death of the African-American
population," Hogan wrote
<http://www.amazon.com/Capitalism-vs-Collectivism-American-Political/dp/0415942888/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1414837761&sr=8-12&keywords=marcus+pohlmann>.
But there is also an "African-American internal labor to overcome the
ravages of death."

A significant component of that internal labor is indeed the development of
a consciousness within the Black community to eradicate the social source
of its exploitation.

Inherent in the internal labor of the African-American population is the
 ... creation of a surplus African-American population above and beyond the
exploitative needs of capital. This is reflected in the growing absolute
magnitude of unemployed African-Americans, who represent the "freeing-up"
of African-Americans from the binding forces of the capitalist market
mechanism. Unemployment among members of the African-American population
could be part of a process that portends growing liberation of these people
from direct capitalist exploitative mechanisms.

There's a touch of the smugness of the Marxist *longue durée *here. The
not-so-Marxist point is, though, that a liberatory consciousness doesn't
just arise through labor within the system. The working classes aren't the
only potential rebels. Being shut out from the system can emancipate you
from its terms. The "internal labor" of developing that freed consciousness
is a work of culture. A disparate range of cultural phenomena, seen in this
context, start to make sense together. You can recognize the gangsta
celebration of gain unredeemed by even the faintest hint of productive
purpose, which reveals money for what Brecht and Proudhon said it
was -- a glint of bling decking the fact of theft; you can
recall an exaltation of bodies driven by defiant needs, in dance or sport,
no longer drilled and regimented by the factory ethic. These sensibilities
deny the nostrums of triumphant capitalism; they form an
ungoverned undercurrent in American culture, otherwise bound to the wheel
of Work and Progress. To see them as freedom takes only a slight shift in
vantage -- though something enormous is required to shake white folks away
from the heritage of Horatio Alger. Resistance isn't just rejection; it's
the creation of visions of life alternative to what the prevailing
economy has on offer. African-American experience has been rich enough in
the legacy of these not to wallow abjectly in the rubbed-off pride of a few
singular success stories.

[image: Sublimate this drive: Cover of 1972 edition of Eros and
Civilization]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/eroscivpostcard200dpi.jpg>

Sublimate *this* drive: Cover of 1972 edition of *Eros and Civilization*

Didn't homosexuality stand for something like that once? To claim the flesh
is designed for desire and fun, not just assembly lines and breeding, was
more subversion than self-indulgence. It formed a dissent and an
alternative to the work-and-win compulsiveness of American life. It
rebelled against the body's subordination to morality and economy alike,
its subjection to an imperative of production. Back in the Sixties, before
Grindr or Lady Gaga, a lonely homo might spend a Saturday night reading Paul
Goodman
<http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/bright/goodman/goodman-bio.html>
or
Herbert Marcuse <http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/>. For Marcuse, homosexuality
"protests
<http://www.amazon.com/Eros-Civilization-Philosophical-Inquiry-Freud/dp/0807015555>
against
the repressive order of procreative sexuality." The "repressive
organization of sexuality" by culture parallels the repressive organization
of creativity by capital:

The sex instincts bear the brunt of the reality principle. Their
organization culminates in the subjection of the partial sex instincts to
the primacy of genitality, and in their subjugation under the function of
procreation. ... This organization results in a quantitative
and qualitative restriction of sexuality.... it is turned into a
specialized temporary function, into a means for an end.

Homosexuality portends a polymorphous sexuality liberating physical
existence from the factory floor, fantasy unshackled from the demands of
realism. Our future hinges "on the opportunity to activate repressed or
arrested organic, biological needs: to make the human body an instrument of
pleasure rather than labor. ... The emergence of new, qualitatively
different needs and faculties seemed to be the prerequisite, the content of
liberation." The great mythic figures who embodied that perversity, Orpheus
and Narcissus, "reveal a new reality, with an order of its own, governed by
different principles."

[image: Innocent in the garden: Marcuse]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/herbert_marcuse_in_newton_massachusetts_1955.jpeg>

Innocent in the garden: Herbert Marcuse in the Sixties

Those were heady days, when through the thickets of even the densest prose
flickered glimpses of an erotic Eden; naked in the undergrowth, Marx and
Freud copulated under a fringe of green leaves. The gays were tutelary
spirits of this verdant wood, dissidents by definition.

And now, no more. The gay movement put on its pants and wandered in
a different direction. Nobody's interested in liberation anymore; least of
all those who praise placidly zipped-up, buttoned-down Tim Cook. Brittney
Cooper wrote
<http://www.salon.com/2014/09/24/feminisms_ugly_internal_clash_why_its_future_is_not_up_to_white_women/>
a few days ago about the gulf between black and white feminisms in the
United States: "White women’s feminisms still center around *equality
... * Black
women’s feminisms demand *justice.* There is a difference.  One kind of
feminism focuses on the policies that will help women integrate fully into
the existing American system. The other recognizes the fundamental flaws in
the system and seeks its complete and total transformation." It's tempting
to say that here's the distinction between the gay politics we practice
now-- the pursuit of belonging -- and other movements that retained a
tingle of radical aspiration, of transformational edge.

But does the gay movement even believe in "equality"? This is what the Tim
Cook carnival makes me wonder. How can you praise equality when your poster
boy is worth $400 million?

That's an undercount. In 2011, Apple paid Cook $378 million, and his price
has surely gone up. *Business Insider* notes that
<http://www.businessinsider.com/most-frugal-billionaires-2013-1?op=1#ixzz3IKsBcOvU>,
although "compensated handsomely," Cook

chooses to live a modest lifestyle. Cook lives in a modest,
2,400-square-foot condo in Palo Alto, which he bought for $1.9 million in
2010. He's quoted as saying in the book
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/01/11/tim-cooks-modest-home/> *Inside
Apple*: "I like to be reminded of where I came from, and putting myself in
modest surroundings helps me do that. Money is not a motivator for me."

The threefold refrain of "modest" is sweet. It's true that most Americans
spend much more than 1/200th of their annual income on a house. It's also
true that most don't spend two million dollars. Cook is too poor to show up
on Forbes' list of the country's very richest. But that's OK; he's Number
25 in its rankings of the most powerful people on the planet
<http://www.forbes.com/powerful-people/list/#tab:overall>, "our annual
lineup of the politicians and financiers, entrepreneurs and CEOs, and
billionaire philanthropists who rule the world." That's an interesting
list. It's not about opportunity; it's certainly not about democracy. Among
the first 25 only five -- Barack Obama, Angela Merkel, David Cameron,
Narendra Modi, Fran*ç*ois Hollande -- are political leaders elevated in
reasonably fair elections (unless you count the Pope). The
rest are dictators or businessmen. It's their world. We just die in it.

[image: Equal affection, trickling down]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/marriage-equality-red-blood-copy.jpg>

Equal affection, trickling down

The gay movement* talks* about equality all the time. LGBT groups
across the country sport it in their names; you could play a lethal
drinking game with it cropping up in speeches; and then there are those
damn equality signs, and the profile pictures. But how equal is it when
your role model -- "trailblazer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/upshot/tim-cook-is-important-because-firsts-are-important.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytnational&abt=0002&abg=1>,"
"hero <http://www.technewsworld.com/story/81283.html>," "an American Dream
story <http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/31/fortune-500-congratulate-tim-cook-gay/>"

-- has power and money to which no American can aspire?  It means your
idea of equality has gone off the rails. "He serves as a shining example
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/31/fortune-500-congratulate-tim-cook-gay/>that
you can be who you are, you can be gay, and become the CEO of the most
valuable company in the world.” No, he doesn't. In *this *century of
spreading poverty, in *this *country of oligarchy, in *this *economy of
injustice*, *no sane gay kid can or should grow up with the delusion that
the path to infinite acquisition lies open.

[image: Shave off every hair you can find, son, and after that we'll
practice cutting your throat to drive out Satan: Father as role model, from
right-wing group Focus on the Family's website]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/11.png>

Shave off every hair you can find, son, and after that we'll practice
cutting your throat to drive out Satan: Father as role model, in a photo
from right-wing group Focus on the Family's website

What underpins this is the American gay movement's firm, longstanding
belief in a trickle-down theory of culture. *We're not trying to change
realities, just opinions.* A few well-placed examples at the top of things,
a few powerful promoters of tolerance, and enlightenment will leak and
dribble down to the mind-starved masses. We don't need to tinker with the
system, we don't need to ask what keeps patriarchy going, we never need to
think about money, we don't need to wonder how poverty shapes masculinity
or limits women or deforms childhood, and remember: race and militarism and
the Gulag of mass incarceration have zero to do with sex or gender. All it
takes are *role models. *The obsession with role models makes gay politics
seem like a nonstop casting call. Celebrities -- LGBT and out, or non-LGBT
and approving -- are the movement's moral leaders; it's as if Sidney
Poitier and Spencer Tracy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guess_Who's_Coming_to_Dinner> were the whole
March on Washington. It's all justified by *the children* -- the kids who
don't need child care, or recourses from domestic violence, or protective
laws, or better schools and textbooks, or homes for that matter, and who
are never black or Latino or poor or anything *except gay; *they just need
a wealthy gay man or occasional lesbian to look up to, otherwise they will
commit suicide. In fact, children don't kill themselves because of the
absence of Tim Cook (unless, of course, they are Tim Cook's children). They
kill themselves because their families or communities fuck them over, and
it takes more than a Silicon Valley executive to fix that. Cook may be a
decent man, but Chad Griffin only calls him a "lifesaver" because Chad
Griffin is unable or unwilling to think about the structural changes that
might actually save children's lives.

Trickle-down culture is a retreat from *both "*equality" and "justice." It
lures the gay movement into a never-never land where images fix facts
miraculously, and a magic charisma conveyed by gods through their chosen
paparazzi withers all wrongs like blighted figs. Trickle-down politics is a
politics of pure recognition
<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw0_LRg9cKHYNWY2NWRjZTMtZDNlMy00YmVmLTkyNmQtYmMyNTNhNWY5Mjkx/edit>,
where persuading the powerful to acknowledge your existence
<http://newleftreview.org/I/212/nancy-fraser-from-redistribution-to-recognition-dilemmas-of-justice-in-a-post-socialist-age>
with a gesture or a sign calls for an abased, degrading gratitude, and
substitutes for getting anything that counts. Trickle-down culture is the
perfect entryway to trickle-down economics, the belief that the rich, like
the famous, bless us by their mere existence. Contagious success is a lie.
"Leaning in" doesn't help
<http://www.thebaffler.com/articles/facebook-feminism-like-it-or-not>those
whose backs are against the wall. But while we beatify Cook as gay
gazillionaire, that old Horatio Alger horseshit becomes part of America's
new gay ideology.

[image: Trickle-down politics: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/zpage0201.gif>

Trickle-down politics: Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

We are ruled less by ourselves than by the rich, and everybody knows this,
and the organized gay movement isn't fighting that, just trying to get the
rich on our side. This isn't a job for activists, but for courtiers. Most
other social movements in the US have figured out this won't work, and why.
They know by heart what Brecht said: "When everyone's pursuing happiness,
happiness comes in last." If any African-Americans ever needed a lesson in
the failure to trickle down, they got it in Franklin Raines,
<http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2009/09/100-to-blame-prosperity-theologists-franklin-raines-and-more>who
became the first black CEO of Fannie Mae. What kind of role model was he?
Raines enthusiastically drew the lending giant into the subprime mortgage
business. His motives aren't clear; perhaps, like many others at the time,
he genuinely wanted to get the very poor invested in the economic system by
making them homeowners. Or perhaps he wanted to raise his corporation's
short-term earnings, because his pay was based on them. (His creative
accounting ended up overstating the earnings by more than $6 billion
anyway, possibly in a conspiracy to inflate his bonuses.) Plenty of

African-Americans took out mortgages and invested in the system, and when
the system collapsed in 2008 it left them destitute. The money went to
Raines and the banks. It trickled up.

I'm reasonably sure Tim Cook is a good man, personally. I fear the
possibility he'll be the gay community's Franklin Raines. Apple makes
beautiful things that gays love; but amid the euphoria, isn't it reasonable
to ask just what else the corporation does for us? Cook has tried to lever
up Apple's philanthropy
<http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/02/tim-cook-casts-more-light-on-apples-charitable-contributions/>,
including to the Human RIghts Campaign. ("Unlike cofounder Steve Jobs who
thought his company should focus on maximizing shareholders’ value so they
can donate their own wealth, the new boss is adamant that Apple must do
more.")  In 2011, the corporation gave away $150 million, against $100
billion it had in the bank. This generosity takes on a paltry cast when you
realize that, though now valued at more than $118 billion, Apple pays only
a pittance in taxes. Anywhere. It's one of Earth's biggest tax cheats. For
instance, Apple may seem to you like a Silicon Valley firm; on paper,
though, it's settled itself in Ireland, a notorious tax haven. It routs its
international sales -- 60% of its profits -- through dummy companies in
Dublin. From 2009 to 2012 it attributed net income of $30 billion to
another offshore subsidiary <http://www.bbc.com/news/business-22607349> which
"declined to declare any tax residence, filed no corporate income tax
return and paid no corporate income taxes to any national government for
five years." It's as though Apple were a spaceship. A Congressional
report estimates Apple evaded
<http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-money-apple-avoids-paying-in-taxes-2014-6>
$9 billion in 2012 US taxes. *Forbes, *not usually a a Marxist rag, blast
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/leesheppard/2013/05/28/how-does-apple-avoid-taxes/>
ed
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/leesheppard/2013/05/28/how-does-apple-avoid-taxes/>the
"vanity and contempt for government ... amply displayed in Apple’s tax
figures."

[image: Not giving at the office: Apple's profits vs. Apple's taxes,
2007-2011]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/apple_taxes_profits1.jpg>

Not giving at the office: Apple's profits vs. Apple's taxes, 2007-2011

Apple's philanthropy redistributes to private causes what it robs from
public coffers -- a tiny mite of what it robs, anyway. Instead of paying
its dues to democratic governments, where disposing the proceeds would be a
shared decision (you vote on what to with tax money), Apple gives what and
when it wants to whomever it chooses. That's neoliberalism in action. Here
it's the gays who profit at the public's expense. I don't grudge them. But
LGBT groups *could *get other donors to support their battle against
bullying in education; whereas dwindling tax dollars are the only
thing that supports the education. End school bullying. Don't end
the schools.

[image: This meme was made on a Mac: From Americans for Tax Fairness]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/bad_apple_url.jpg>

This meme was made on a Mac: From Americans for Tax Fairness

One area where Apple did something nice for the gays at last, after a
string of mistakes, was privacy. True, it took long enough: years of bad

publicity
<http://readwrite.com/2013/05/02/apples-privacy-record-sucks-heres-why-you-should-care>
and stonewalling
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110428/us-tec-apple-crisis-management/?>
before
the corporation showed it was truly serious about information safety. Data
protection is vital to LGBT people for obvious reasons; not everyone is
out, and cops and blackmailers in many jurisdictions would love to
learn who isn't. When Apple issued a new, sweeping privacy statement
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/18/6409915/apples-privacy-statement-is-a-direct-shot-at-google-and-i-love-it>last
month, promising not to share information with either marketers or
governments, it was especially important to those customers. For sure, it's
part of the corporation's branding
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2366921/why-apple-really-cares-about-your-privacy.html>
:

Apple has always tried to build an emotional connection between its devices
and customers. With its increasing focus on privacy, it’s clear that Apple
not only sees privacy as important to maintaining this bond, but as a means
of differentiating itself from the competition.

It's also imperfect <http://www.wired.com/2014/09/apple-iphone-security/> --
cops can seize information even if it's not handed over -- and Apple needs
to answer many more questions
<http://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2014/10/21/privacychampion_apple_facing_backlash_over_new_operating_systems_data_collection.html>.
(Why does the Mac operating system still send Apple keystroke-by-keystroke
data on what you do?) Yet the protections will let vulnerable users rest a
bit more easy.

[image: EyePhone: BIg brother thinks different]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/privacy_iphone-100034044-gallery.png>

EyePhone: Big brother thinks different

"Privacy" is an interesting idea, though. It was a key theme in Tim Cook's
coming-out op-ed, a month after Apple's your-data's-safe-with-us campaign
started -- suggesting he saw his honesty through the same lens, perhaps as
part of the same PR. "Throughout my professional life, I’ve tried to
maintain a basic level of privacy," he intoned,

<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay>but
"my desire for personal privacy has been holding me back from doing
something more important." Could this be a way of saying, *Listen, geeks,
there are bigger things than your selfish insecurity about your silly
secrets?* What's certain is: Cook is willing to forgo his personal
obscurity and become a news story and symbol; but Apple, by
contrast, protects its corporate privacy to the death. Literally.

On July 16, 2009, Sun Danyong, 25 a Chinese factory worker for Apple's
manufacturing supplier Foxconn Technology, killed himself
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/21/sun-danyong-chinese-engin_n_242429.html>by
jumping from the window of his 12th-floor apartment. Three days earlier,
he'd told the company he'd lost a prototype model for the next-generation
IPhone. Foxconn security forces searched his home, interrogated him, and
beat him. Two hours before he died, Sun texted
<http://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-china/more-on-the-iphone-suicide>his
girlfriend:

"My dear, I'm sorry, go back home tomorrow, something has happened to me,
please don't tell my family, don't contact me, this is the first time that
I have ever begged you, please agree to that! I am so sorry!"

And he wrote to a friend: “Even at a police station, the law says force
must never be used, much less in a corporate office. ... Thinking that I
won’t be bullied tomorrow, won’t have to be the scapegoat, I feel much
better.”

[image: Sun Dan Yong]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/sun-dan-yong.jpg>Sun's
death drew attention to the human consequences of Apple's obsessive concern
with secrecy. It also pulled back the veil on working conditions for
those who make your IPhones and IPads. In 2010 alone, 18 Foxconn workers
attempted suicide, and 14 died. *Mic.com* describes
<http://mic.com/articles/58267/why-are-chinese-workers-at-apple-suppliers-foxconn-and-pegatron-trying-to-commit-suicide>Tian
Yu, a17-year-old migrant from rural China:

Her managers made
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/05/woman-nearly-died-making-ipad>
her work over 12 hours a day, often without a day off for up to two weeks,
and attend unpaid work meetings on top of that. Tian Yu’s demanding work

schedule in Foxconn’s sweatshop-like conditions forced
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/05/woman-nearly-died-making-ipad>
her to skip meals and accept the manufacturer’s restricted toilet break
policy.

The company finally sent her on a bureaucratic run-around to get the meager
monthly wages of just over $200 it owed her. She bussed from office to
office in a futile quest: "Why was it so hard to get what I'd earned? Why
must they torture me like this?" she asked
<http://www.scmp.com/article/733389/struggle-foxconn-girl-who-wanted-die> a
reporter later. That day, she jumped from her dormitory window, and barely
survived.

A Hong Kong-based watchdog investigated <http://www.sacom.hk/?p=740>working
conditions at Foxconn, and found its factories were more like military
labor camps. A Hong Kong professor, Jack Qiu, made a powerful short film on
Foxconn's sweatshops:

A former Foxconn manager told the *New York Times*
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0>
that “Apple never cared about anything other than increasing product
quality and decreasing production cost. Workers’ welfare has nothing to do
with their interests.”

Apple promised audits and produced its own figures, but
showed angry indignation that anyone dared impugn its motives or inspect
its claims. Tim Cook said in a company-wide email
<http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/26/tim-cook-responds-to-claims-of-factory-worker-mistreatment-we-care-about-every-worker-in-our-supply-chain/>
that he was "outraged": but by the abuses, or the reporting?

Unfortunately some people are questioning Apple’s values today ... We care
about every worker in our worldwide supply chain. .... Any suggestion that
we don’t care is patently false and offensive to us. As you know better
than anyone, accusations like these are contrary to our values. ... For the
many hundreds of you who are based at our suppliers’ manufacturing sites
around the world, or spend long stretches working there away from your
families, I know you are as outraged by this as I am.

What stands out is Apple's fierce concern not just for its customers'
privacy, but for its own. Corporations are people too
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/corporations-are-people-a_b_5543833.html>,

and they have their intimacies. If they enjoy the full rights of free speech
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118493/john-roberts-first-amendment-revolution-corporations>,
surely they're entitled to keep the state out of their bedrooms. Would you
fuck somebody -- the workers, in this case -- with a whistleblower watching?

Apple's philanthropy is a good investment. By buying up shares in US civil
society, they ensure noisy activists will side with them, and ignore the
nameless foreign workers. Apple donates to HRC in part to give itself a,
well, righteous gloss. How could a bigtime patron of the Human RIghts
Campaign flout human rights?

[image: Hello down there, little man: Tim Cook tours a Foxconn factory in
Zhengzhou, China, in 2012]

<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/timfoxconn1.jpg>

Hello down there, little man: Tim Cook tours a Foxconn factory in
Zhengzhou, China, in 2012

But all this exposes still another scandal: The complicity of US social
movements with corporate abuse.

There's nothing new here, and it's not unique to Apple. In 2012, Bil
Browning revealed how
<http://www.bilerico.com/2012/11/why_is_hrc_advertising_for_american_airlines_as_ot.php>"One
day after several leaders from LGBT orgs met to talk about American
Airlines' anti-union activities and how it's been affecting their LGBT
employees, the Human Rights Campaign sent out an email urging their
supporters to purchase airline tickets from the company." American Airlines
is another big donor to HRC; just like Apple, it's a "Platinum Partner."
Effectively, these companies pay the gays to pinkwash them, to do their PR
work. Purchasing social movements through philanthropy is
remunerative traffic for the Fortune 500, and the gays come cheap. All
I can say is: when onetime activists for liberated desire become hired
flacks for the profiteers of sweatshop abuses, we've come a long, long way
from Marcuse.

[image: It's my party: Movie poster from 1934]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/coming-out-party-movie-poster-1934-1020551769.jpg>

It's my party: Movie poster from 1934

Coming out is so complicated! I began by citing somebody's demand that Nate
Silver come out as a "gay statistician." What is a "gay statistician?"
Presumably it means you deal in gay statistics. And what are those? If
you're gay, or black, or Jewish and a novelist, I get how you may write
gay, or black, or Jewish novels -- a novel tells stories, and the
teller's identity is free to enter. But how professional is it to pass
pure numbers through the sieve of self? Or maybe it's all about the
subjects you research. Should gay Nate Silver serve us up statistics about
the gay community, then? Yet that might include *statistics the gay
community's leaders wouldn't like us to hear*. You know -- figures like:

   - *How much does Apple pay the Human Rights Campaign to advertise for
   it?*
   - *How many praise-filled Tim Cook-related press releases were funded
   by Tim Cook-related money?*
   - *How much money do groups that rate corporations' "gay-friendliness"
   take from corporations?*
   - *What percentage of the US LGBT movement's funding comes from
   corporate donors, or donors high-placed in corporations? And on what terms?*
   - *What percentage of LGBT groups taking cash from corporations have
   ever criticized the human rights record of those corporations?*

No, that won't do. I'm sure the Human Rights Campaign prefers fewer, not
more, gay statisticians.

I have nothing against Tim Cook. I wish him well. We spend too much time
looking for individuals to blame for the horrors we dimly discern in the
world; it diverts us from thinking about the system that dictates
individuals' acts, and constrains their desires. Cook's coming out, I
think, is an attempt to be a personality in a career that provided few
chances for it: to claim a little corner of real, old-time personhood, not
the corporate kind, inside a structure where selves subordinate themselves
to shareholder value. (Even Steve Jobs, as quirky a figure as any leader in
US life, tried with Zen obsessiveness to erase and efface himself down
to desireless degree zero.) But if being gay can be bought and sold, it's
not a realm of self-expression anymore. Rebellious soul and body dwindle to
a market niche. Cook at least has a distinctive prose style: "We pave the
sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick," he wrote in his
op-ed. "This is my brick." But where is that stone cemented? Is it the
yellow brick road? Or another brick in the wall?

*** *NOTE: *TIAA-CREF has always been enormous, but it doesn't seem to have
appeared on the Fortune 500 list until 1998, I suspect because the magazine
tweaked its rules then to include non-profit corporations. It's been on
there steadily ever since. So does Wharton's 1987 accomplishment count? Was
TIAA-CREF technically a Fortune company in 1987, since it was later? In any
case, Wharton lists *himself *as the first African-American Fortune 500
CEO: here
<http://www.knightcommission.org/resources/press-room/6-about/55-clifton-r-wharton-jr>,
for instance, and here <http://www.nndb.com/people/679/000121316/>. Either
the *Times *didn't acknowledge him as it should, or Wharton shows how CEOs
-- perhaps including Cook as well -- are not to be trusted to measure their
own importance.

[image: Booya]
<https://scottlong1980.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tim-cook.jpg>

Booya

 *scottlong1980 <http://paper-bird.net/author/scottlong1980/>* | 7 November
2014 at 08:42 | Tags: Apple <http://paper-bird.net/?tag=apple>, Chad Griffin
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=chad-griffin>, China
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=china>, coming out
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=coming-out>, Corporations
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=corporations>, Foxconn
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=foxconn>, Franklin Raines
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=franklin-raines>, Herbert Marcuse
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=herbert-marcuse>, Human Rights Campaign
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=human-rights-campaign>, LGBT
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=lgbt>, Nate Silver
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=nate-silver>, privacy
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=privacy>, Scott Long
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=scott-long>, Tim Cook
<http://paper-bird.net/?tag=tim-cook> | Categories: Economic Justice
<http://paper-bird.net/?cat=38126855>, Human Rights
<http://paper-bird.net/?cat=34963630>, LGBT Rights
<http://paper-bird.net/?cat=35302962>, Politics
<http://paper-bird.net/?cat=398>, Uncategorized
<http://paper-bird.net/?cat=1> | URL: http://wp.me/p1JCFL-22K

 Comment <http://paper-bird.net/2014/11/07/tim-cooks-coming-out/#respond>
   See all comments
<http://paper-bird.net/2014/11/07/tim-cooks-coming-out/#comments>

     Unsubscribe
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=f5b97b8d6a5798722458396f7df20b62&email=adit.bond%40gmail.com&b=Cu9TdF%25r%26jON%25R%2B79Rr2qx2OFnwRx%26-7%5De9aSvZz5%26DtX%3Fed1R>
to no longer receive posts from a paper bird.
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=f5b97b8d6a5798722458396f7df20b62&email=adit.bond%40gmail.com>.

http://paper-bird.net/2014/11/07/tim-cooks-coming-out/
         Thanks for flying with WordPress.com <http://wordpress.com>

ADITYA BONDYOPADHYAY
Development Sector Consultant
Advocate (Regd. No. F-218/192 of 1997, Bar Council of W.Bengal, India)

Website: http://adityabondyopadhyay.webs.com/
================================
Notice to all recipients:
Communication not intended for you but reaching you inadvertently needs to
be treated as confidential and destroyed or deleted immediately. Use of
such communication in a manner prejudicial to the interest of Aditya
Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his agents
respectively, may attract legal proceedings which may be of a civil or
criminal nature.

Aditya Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his
agents respectively cannot be held liable or accountable for any and every
communication reaching out through this email account that is an unaltered
forward of another communication received by this email account, or a
referred source available on the internet and accessible to the public.