At 10:09 PM 7/8/2002 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:

>The GDM calls for a sequence number on each place-part of a place, and
>an ordering scheme of the place-parts of a place. With XML order matters
>(unless we say it doesn't) so I see no need for a sequence number; it is
>implied.

I am a retired programmer/analyst. I started programming in 1965 and
retired in 1999. This morning I'm on my way to the North San Diego
Genealogical Assn. computer sig meeting in Carlsbad, CA  so I'm taking a
chance on my senior memory.

At the risk of introducing myself by misremembering, I thought that the
sequence numbers for place-parts represented geographic levels.

Something like 1-country, 2-state, 3-county, 4-city, 5-neighborhood.

For example: 1-USA, 2-CA, 3-Riverside, 4-Hemet; or 1-USA, 2-CA, 4-Hemet are
both representations of the city of Hemet with and without Riverside county
information.

I may be confused with some other spec, but if my memory is right then
"level" numbers matter.

John Harvey