Hi, I think I cheered too soon: I've managed to compile geeqie version
1.2 from git (be9732c).  However it still shows undesired behaviour,
see second part of my original request (and now I understand why Klaus
said it would be unrelated to the bug of an invisible window):

In full screen mode you can switch focus to other windows, but they do
not show up.  You can even interact with them (keyboard input).  I
really liked the older fullscreen mode more, where fullscreen simply was
an undecorated window at the full size of the screen.

In my original request I wrongly assumed that
"Preferences/Windows/Full screen/Determined by Window Manager" would
bring that behaviour.

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                      o/X
Send plain text messages only, not exceeding 32kB.            /\/