I hit memory issues as well (all versions I've tried - 1.2 from source,
Debian's version, even going back to 1.0 still hits it), but it's only
virtual memory usage - resident memory stays contained. On 32bit geeqie
will start behaving badly once it hits 4GB virtual memory (which is easy to
hit scrolling through a directory with a couple of hundred .cr2 images),
first auto rotation stops working then an image or two later it stops
eliminate the problem, but has enough virtual address space that it is not
practical to hit.

-Ian

--
http://darkstarsword.net