Klaus> Am Mo den  7. Mär 2016 um 23:12 schrieb Hartmut Niemann:
>> $ cat /proc/version
>> Linux version 3.16.0-4-686-pae (debian-ker...@lists.debian.org) (gcc version
>> 4.8.4 (Debian 4.8.4-1) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3 (2016-01-17)

I really think this is your problem in alot of ways.  You have an i686
kernel (32bit) with the PAE extensions installed because you have 12gb
of RAM in the system.  Why aren't you running a x86_64 (64bit) kernel
and userland?  You can certainly install the 32bit libraries as well
if you need them for an application.

But moving to a pure 64bit kernel (can you send the output of cat
/proc/cpuinfo?)  with a mixed 64bit/32bit userland (if needed) you'll
get a much bigger address space.

Now I can certainly see how geeqie, or possibly the toolkit and
libraries, might not handle large amounts of highmem properly on a
32bit system using PAE.

In my mind, it's just not worth the hassle.  How hard would it be to
install a 64bit kernel on this system?

John