Hi Colin,

First, don't get me wrong, I like the feature. You might have seen that
I like all the GPS stuff around and having a application that work with
it is great.

On the other hand I am looking at the user base. And there, it is not
the biggest feature.

And when it comes to GTK3, I see all the down draws it has. GTK3 is that
bad, user wise, than all the gnome stuff present days. I hate the way it
is going.

Am So den 15. Mai 2016 um 17:26 schrieb Colin Clark:
> I can get an image flickering problem if I resize the image window - but
> this depends on some combination of several things:
> If the image is scaled 1:1/fit-to-window/Gnome/XFCE etc.

Well, I usually use it on fvwm2. I dried many other desktop environments
and always came back to that.
- - Gnome is just more and more trying to treat the user as a child and
  keep him from being the one that drives the computer.
- - KDE is better that far but I do not like the resource consumption and
  the 1000 of daemons that it starts.
- - Window maker I tried once and it is not my piece of cake.
- - ratpoison I tried once... :-D
- - i3 was promising but not more.
- - mwm was the old times, never used since then.
- - ...

But I stray away from the subject.

> If people report a problem with the map, I will try to help solve it.

I believe you. And it can be used with current version just with
explicit enabling. The problem seems not your code than the library it
is using.

However, I think that we can focus on that in 1.4.. I hope to finally
release 1.4 end of the month. (See the issues I choose for inclusion[0])

> But from the mailing list I get the feeling that the map is not a
> significant function for Geeqie users.

Oh, for me, it is a loved feature. However, as it was proved in the
past, my likings and dislikings are not always the same of other users.
:-)

My thoughts about that are:
- - How can we control, what data is sent to openstreetmap?
- - Is there a way to have it without GTK3 atm?
- - What about such problems like the flickering I described? (From the
  bug reports I learned that users could be picky about that)
- - How is the overall speed

Regards
   Klaus

[0] https://github.com/BestImageViewer/geeqie/milestones/v1.3
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C