Apparently the rules require me to accept and say a few words.

My first exposure to open source was when I wanted to integrate PHP with
Tomcat.  I found PHP to be well designed and with a very active community
with hundreds of active committers.  Soon after I got started, I was
shocked to find people I didn't know making changes to "my" code.

By contrast, Tomcat's code base was as screwed up as Craig says it was.  I
was running on JDK 1.1.8 at the time on WinNT, and the README actually said
that if you were running this combination and wanted to serve static files,
upgrade.  And the community was as disfunctional as Costin implied.  I was
initially greeted with "hey, you're from IBM, we don't want your kind
around here".

As far as what's my platform: I prefer a minimum of central control.  I
want to continue to create an environment where those that want to
contribute are given the maximum opportunity to do so.  I prefer to cross
fertilize and inform rather than mandate.  And I'm patient.  And VERY
persistent.

Some even say I have a sense of humor...  ;-)

- Sam Ruby