Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

Technical issues having been commented on ...

> in light of http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2005-05/msg00134.html
> and its complete thread.

The claims that the ASF has an NIH issue are contradicted by the existance
of the Incubator.  These aren't projects invented here.  They are projects
being brought here by their "inventors" because this is where they want to
build community, and because the AL is the license that they want to use.

And it really shouldn't be surprising that as Open Source penetrates further
into the traditional commercial software community, that they choose a
vendor friendly partner.

> I'd still like to know why this came out,

Rogue Wave wanted to, and people here liked the idea enough to sponsor it?

> why it came here,

At a guess, because of our license and processes.  This is born out in part
by the proposal:

  There are other free implementations, but none have the
  quality, license flexibility, or platform support
  necessary to serve as a universal foundation for [C++]

> and why some other people here like it.

What's not to like, if you're a C++ programmer?

        --- Noel