Andrew Murdoch wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> I got an email earlier from Joern Clausen with a link to his
> Google/Earthquake page (http://www.oe-files.de/gmaps/usgseq.html) and
> javascript which was helpful.  I want to do similar work, but I also
> want to lay the groundwork for animating the map display when the user
> drags the event painter across the lower timeline band.  Your
> suggestion to use the "addOnSelectListener" function sounds
> promising.  I'll want to get a list of multiple events that fall
> within the selected time window, associate them with their lat/long
> coords and plot the coords on the map.
The getMinVisibleDate() and getMaxVisibleDate() on a band object should
give you that range--see
    http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/api/scripts/timeline.js
Then, the getEventIterator() on the event source object should give you
an iterator over events in that range--see
    http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/api/scripts/sources.js

> I'm not quite sure how to associate a Timeline event with lat and long
> coords (drawn from the original GeoJSON data source).  Maybe when I
> initially parse my input GeoJSON to Timeline events I could add my
> array of Timeline events to another array with lat and long coords
> stored as well.  Then when I use the SelectListener to get the
> selected events, I can loop through the second (event, lat and long)
> array evaluating whether the event is the same as the current selected
> event.  That's assuming that it makes sense to evaluate event objects
> against each other.  Would I instead have to evaluate a property of
> the event object (like an eventid)?
I'd recommend looking at Exhibit first,
    http://simile.mit.edu/exhibit/
The first example does something similar to what you want.