My guess is that there is a different library in your code base which is
using Velocity that is interpreting the HTML.

Velocity is almost completely agnostic about the content of the file it is
processing.  (There's a few issues around escaping identifiers which start
with $ or #).

Could it be Click?  (I'm not familiar enough with it to comment).

WILL