William Tetrault posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:43:23 -0600:

> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:00 pm, Christian Bock wrote:
>> I'm not happy with plain 64 Bit linux, because of things like w32codecs,
>> wine and flash.... You can also encourage me to stay on 64 bit, but you
>> gotta have good arguments.
>
> The good arguments consist of mentioning that the 64-bit AMD cpus have
> extra registers that only get used in the presence of a 64-bit operating
> system.

Another one is that Gentoo is headed toward the multi-lib standard.  Small
steps toward that end were taken last summer.  2005.0 has some substantial
steps in that direction (portage had to catch up too, 2005.0 no longer
supports -multilib, but not everything is there for the full system, yet),
the goal is to have everything working by 2005.1 (to be released in July
or Aug).

When multilib is fully in place, /lib, /usr/lib, etc, will all be their
32-bit default.  All the 64-bit stuff will be in the lib64 variants.
With the just coming 2005.0, the pieces are pretty much in place, but some
ebuilds are't fixed yet.  Thus, the standard 2005.0 profile will use lib32
and lib64, with lib being a symlink to lib64, for those ebuilds that still
assume lib is the native system bitness libraries.  For those that want to
"break their system", there's an experimental subprofile, nosymlinks,
inside the 2005.0 profile, that goes the rest of the way.  However, with
even ebuilds as critical as portage still installing 64-bit libs to lib
instead of using the profile settings, that subprofile /will/ break your
system, still.

With multilib fully in place, most or all libraries will be compiled
twice, once for native 64-bit (placed in lib64), once for legacy 32-bit
(in lib32 for now, lib for 2005.1). Plugins and the like are normally
instituted as 32-bit libraries, so they'll work normally, with any
applications also compiled as 32-bit.

The multi-lib standard does /not/, however, apply to 32-bit applications,
only libraries.  There's still going to be some differences between
distributions on how applications are handled.  By 2005.1, I expect there
to be a Gentoo HOWTO on installing 32-bit and 64-bit applications in
parallel.  With a full multi-lib system, 32-bit and 64-bit libraries
should exist in parallel without issue (save for the occasional bug).
However, that won't be the case for 32-bit applications.  You'll then have
to choose whether you want 64-bit mplayer, say, or 32-bit mplayer, unless
you tweak things to be able to install both in different dirs.

However, by mid-year, 64-bit MSWormOS should be becoming more popular, so
64-bit codecs, plugins, and the like, should also be becoming more
available, and the problems with running 32-bit only binary codecs and the
like in 64-bit mode will be disappearing, because they won't be 32-bit
only any more.  Of course, that still leaves the issue of them being
proprietary-only, unfortunately...

Benjamin Franklin