hi!

now i compiled the kernel manually, nearly with the same kernel configs as
genkernel used, and now finally my system boots without panic!

what i changed in the kernel config (from the 'genkernel'-config):

1.) i changed JFS support from module to be compiled into kernel
       => CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
2.) i activated the 'automatically mount at boot'-feature of /dev-fs support
       => CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y

that are the only 2 differenced between the kernel-configs (i took these
changes from the installation doc, from the manual kernel configuration)

but actually i don't think that was the problem, that the kernel paniced...
what do you think?

the other thing, what is different, is the lilo-configuration! for the
'genkernel'-kernel i used the 'genkernel'-section in the lilo.conf of the
installation doc. for the manually compiled kernel i used the 'manual'-section
of this lilo.conf...

i dont't know what this line in the lilo.conf for the 'genkernel'-kernel
really does. i wonder if it is really neccessary...?

  it says:   append="root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc"

maybe this caused the kernel-panic-problem?
or is it, that the /dev-fs was not mounted during boot?

--
martin