Hi Redeeman,

I had this problem when getting warcraft 3 to work. I'm not sure that this is
the best solution, but I solved it by running the game on a new X server with
the resolution that the game runs in. I wanted it to run by simply typing
'war3', and to exit cleanly when I exited the game. To do this I did the
following:

1. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to add another screen section with the settings for
warcraft. This is just another Screen section after my existing one, which
looks like this:

    Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "1024x768x16"
        Device      "nvidia gf2mx"
        Monitor     "NEC XP21"
        DefaultDepth 16

        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
            Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
    EndSection

The important part is the 'Identifier', which I'll use later. The other
settings should be similar to your existing Screen section/s.

2. Add a file to /etc/X11/Sessions which is where gentoo's startx script looks
for windowmanagers. The file, called 'war3' contains the following:

    #!/bin/sh

    cd /home/ajc/.wine/fake_windows/Games/Warcraft\ III
    /usr/bin/wine -- War3.exe -opengl

Basically all this does is execute the command to start warcraft.

3. Add the file /usr/local/bin/war3 containing:

    #!/bin/bash
    XSESSION=war3 startx -- :1 -screen 1024x768x16

This starts the new X server on display :1 (the default server is on :0) with
the 1024x768x16 screen and runs warcraft.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt this approach to other games. Actually, now
that I look at it, it's probably better to do steps 2 and 3 with one shell
script that calls xinit with the right arguments, but I know this way works so
I'll stick to it for now.

Let me know if you find a better way around this problem.

--Alex