> > Since I have multiple gentoo systems, I use http-replicator as the http
> > proxy for portage; all of the systems hit the proxy for package files so
> > only have to perform the download from the net once to keep the entire
> > internal network up to date.
>
> Does this handle pkg X being needed by the client, but not needed for
> the pkg server?  This has been the only thing holding me back from doing
> similar...

Yes, I've got different architectures and different gentoo bases (some x86,
some ~x86).

Since it is a proxy it will either return an exact match out of the cache or
fetch it.  Only the first system that looks for a package will be forced to
suffer the download delay, the rest (since I'm running 100Mb intranet) wait
only seconds for even the largest packages (i.e. OO etc.).

Works like a charm and, once set up, can be completely ignored.  Even comes
with a support script to clean out the cache to remove old files.

Dave