Ognjen Bezanov wrote:

Hi all
I have gentoo install and a USB 2.0 Hard disk that required 500mA of power
Now under Windows XP the drive worked perfectly, but under gentoo it
wouldnt work (it have symptoms of not enough power).
Now from what i remember about the USB specification 250mA is the max
current availiable unless a device requests more. My drive requests it
and Windows seems to honour that by providing more power, but gentoo
doesnt. What can i do to get more power out of my port (i dont have
windows anymore).
Thanks for your help.

There are probably better solutions which I do not know yet, but a fallback is probably to get a self-powered hub; i.e.: one that has its own wall-wart.

You should also mention what computer & maybe what external drive -- might help someone help you.

Luck,
rgh.