Thanks Neil for the reply,

I think many moons ago, when I first installed Gentoo via the online docs, I
installed kde v3.2 via some "emerge kde-base/kde" or something like that.

If I do an "esearch kde", I notice a whole lot of packages I don't have?! :(

I would like to use my /etc/portage/package.use file (as is the proper way
right), so what package(s) entry should I put in there to USE 'wifi'?

If I try to "emerge -Dav kde-base/kdenetwork-meta" I get all kinds of
packages that are blocked by =kde-base/kdenetwork-3.4*

I run my gnome and kde as ~x86 generally on my notebook.

Also, how come I can clearly see:

*  kde-base/kde
      Latest version available: 3.4.0
      Latest version installed: 3.4.0
      Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kde.org/
packages
      License:     GPL-2

Yet:

locutus ~ # esearch kde-base/kde
[ Results for search key : kde-base/kde ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

locutus ~ # emerge search kde-base/kde
Searching...