Hi all,

Those of you that use Cedega probably know that some versions work
better with some games than others.

I'm wondering how to install multiple versions simultaneously, via
Portage, without having them stomp all over each other.

Yes, I could use Point2Play, but that seems to cause more problems than
it solves much of the time, and I would rather avoid it. I am also
trying to keep as much of the Wine things as possible in one family
(either WINE or Cedega, I really don't want to have to keep track of
what's running under which any given month. One time through the WINE
and TG databases and Wikis and forums was quite enough for now).

As I see it, there are two issues of concern:

1) SLOTS

2) binary name

Now for WineX v3 and WineX ver2 this is not so much of a problem,
because WineX 2.2.1 (needed for Planescape:Torment, as this is the only
version it runs under) a) actually has its own SLOT (2.2.1), and b) uses
a unique binary name ("winex", whereas WineX 3.3.2 uses the binary name
"winex3").

However, all versions of WineX 3 and Cedega use the same SLOT ("3") and
of course, all versions of cedega use the same binary name (cedega).

So here's my question; if I:

1) edit the ebuilds for the Wine versions I want to use to give them
unique SLOTS (by version number)

2) unpack and repack the *.tgz packages to make sure that a) the files
install into unique directories under /usr/lib (only a problem for
multiple versions of Cedega itself; WineX v2 and WineX v3 install into
unique directories under /usr/lib) and b) the binaries have a unique
name (again only a problem for multiple versions of Cedega, basically
I'd just add the verion to anything other than the latest)

3) move the edited ebuilds to my OVERLAY and redigest them

that should do it, yes? Have I missed or forgotten anything?

And is this b.g.o-worthy? I really don't think that WineX 3 and Cedega
should use the same SLOT-- at the very least Cedega should use SLOT 4,
leaving SLOT 3 for WineX 3-- and by preference I'd rather that they all
used a version-based slot like 2.2.1 does, since it's really not
unreasonable that I might want to install several versions of Wine
X/Cedega until such time as TG gets it together and stops breaking stuff
that used to work in the name of getting the 'next big thing' to work.

Just doing a double-check before I give this a shot; thanks for any
suggestions.

Holly