On Wednesday 11 May 2005 18:38, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Gentlemen:
> > After finishing the installation, I cannot seem to bring the eth0
> > interface up. When I try to manually "ifconfig eth0 <addr> <broadcast>
> > <netmask> up", I get a message of "no such device".
> > So, I must have foobarred another incantation along the way.
> > It was working fine in the chroot environment an hour or so ago, so I
> > suspect something in the last stages of the install.
> > What are the sort of things I can do to diagnose this sort of problem.
> > Mostly, I am questing for knowledge right now.
> > Charles
>
> lspci to understand what hardware
> lsmod to understand what modules are loaded
> modprobe foo to get a module loaded to support the adapter
>
> vi /etc/conf.d/net to look at what the system is trying to do with the
> hardware when the scripts are run
>
> post some more info back (if you can) and then folks will help you
> take the next step.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark
Under the liveCD, the network interface is working fine and I was able to
"emerge kde", albeit with an error at the end with a version mismatch between
libtool.m4 (1.5.10) and litmain (1.5), but thats the story after this one.

lspci shows the 3com 3c905C Tornado card. lsmod (under liveCD) shows 3c95x is
the driver used.

In rebooting to the *real* partition, I can see that while init is running
there is an error:

Bringing eth0 up via DHCP
ERROR: Problem starting needed services
"netmount was not started".

I can do a "modprobe 3c95x" and lsmod shows it is loaded. I can then do an
"ifconfig eth0 up" and the interface is up (ping www.yahoo.com works).

The file /etc/conf.d/net has two uncommented lines:
iface_eth0="dhcp"
gateway="eth0/10.10.10.1"

I am suspecting that the netmount is the source of my confusion. Since
"modprobe 3c59x" allows the interface to then work just fine, there may be a
needed alias to tell the init script the PCI card for the ethernet interface
is a 3Com. If I recall, in some other distributions, there is an alias file
for modules and perhaps Gentoo is a little different then my previous
understanding.

Charles

p.s Why would "emerge vi" say "no ebuilds". I have nano, but not vi yet.

p.p.s. After this step, the "emerge kde" tells me that libtool.m4 has the
wrong version and I need to run "libtoolize --copy --force". I run that, and
get the error "configure.ac does nto exist, run libtoolize --help. Invoking
"libtoolize --help" tells me I need to run it from the toplevel directory,
which I assume to be where the source for libtool.m4 would be. Where would
the default location for libtool be so I could run libtoolize properly, or
should I "emerge <something_else", or "emerge <the_same_thing_again>"

p.p.p.s Thanks for the help.