Zac Medico wrote:

--- Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm compiling my system (emerge -env system), but
when it gets down to building OpenSSH, it fails, saying "You need Perl 5." Pretending and checking the tree shows that Perl 5 will be emerged later on during the install. Attempting to "emerge -v perl" attempts to emerge svgalib as well (since I haven't built the system), which fails saying that the kernel has not been configured yet.

I would just add USE="-svga" to make.conf because I
don't need svgalib.
I don't plan on playing console games, so I'll change USE to -svga for now. I can always emerge --newuse system later on anyway.

Now that I've been thinking about it for a while, if OpenSSH needs Perl, shouldn't Perl be built before OpenSSH? This seems like an ebuild bug to me.

If you want to compile it then you need the kernel
source and .config in /usr/src/linux.  If you've lost
your .config then maybe you can do "gzip -dc
/proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config".  Then run
the following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux
make oldconfig
make modules_prepare

That should configure the sources sufficiently for you
to compile modules.
That would work, except I haven't reached step seven of the installation. I'm doing it from stage1, and I'm only up to stage two right now.

--
Colin