On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:56:23 Alex Schuster wrote:

> Thanks, this made me install gutenprint which claims to support the
> printer directly. I thought I had to use the iP4200 driver and hope it
> would work.

I think that gutenprint is the correct driver for your printer and this page
also suggests the same:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-iP4000

However, this might have been the case before the latest cups version - so
some further testing will be required (see below).

> But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device my
> printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when googling
> 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try to print.

This is the cups driver (in kernel) which ought to pick up your usb printer
and use it without problems.  However, according to your logs ... there seems
to be a clash:

> There is a message in syslog that is being repeated hundreds of times:
> May 15 22:25:55 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp
> while 'usb' sets config #1

So, what happens if you build usblp as a module and you modprobe -rv ubslp?
Does cups pick up your printer now?

> And now it gets really crazy: In the printer overview I see not only the
> 'iP5200' I just created, but also a 'iP52002' that has the device URI
> 'usb://Canon/iP5200'. What did create this?!
>
> But printing to that does not work either.

I suspect that this was created by the gutenprint driver that you installed.
I believe that if you resolve the usblp error first then you'll know if
gutenprint is necessary or if it will work.  Some manual tweaking of the ppd
file may also be needed to print in higher resolutions, but let's get it to
print first.

Stop press!

I just checked again your first post: You are using cups 1.4 which accesses
raw usb devices!  Definitely remove usblp (or blacklist it and reboot if you
don't want to recompile your kernel, or can't modprobe -r) and see if the cups
back end picks up your printer on its own.

HTH
--
Regards,
Mick