Mick wrote:

> On Sunday 16 May 2010 02:56:23 Alex Schuster wrote:

> > But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device
> > my printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when
> > googling 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try
> > to print.
>
> This is the cups driver (in kernel) which ought to pick up your usb
> printer and use it without problems.  However, according to your logs
> ... there seems to be a clash:
>
> > There is a message in syslog that is being repeated hundreds of
> > times: May 15 22:25:55 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed
> > by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1

And I just found this:

May 15 22:17:40 [kernel] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 3
May 15 22:17:41 [kernel] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt
0 proto 2 vid 0x04A9 pid 0x10A5
May 15 22:17:41 [kernel] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 717,
in main_    h = HalLpAdmin()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 686,
in __init___    self.addPrinter()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 700,
in addPrinter_    printer.add()
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 541,
in add_    location=os.uname ()[1])
May 15 22:17:46 [hal_lpadmin] IPPError: (1280, 'server-error-internal-
error')

> So, what happens if you build usblp as a module and you modprobe -rv
> ubslp? Does cups pick up your printer now?

I was too busy to try this. And I don't have the printer here right now.
But I will try this soon, so thanks.

> > And now it gets really crazy: In the printer overview I see not only
> > the 'iP5200' I just created, but also a 'iP52002' that has the
> > device URI 'usb://Canon/iP5200'. What did create this?!
> >
> > But printing to that does not work either.
>
> I suspect that this was created by the gutenprint driver that you
> installed. I believe that if you resolve the usblp error first then
> you'll know if gutenprint is necessary or if it will work.  Some
> manual tweaking of the ppd file may also be needed to print in higher
> resolutions, but let's get it to print first.
>
> Stop press!
>
> I just checked again your first post: You are using cups 1.4 which
> accesses raw usb devices!  Definitely remove usblp (or blacklist it
> and reboot if you don't want to recompile your kernel, or can't
> modprobe -r) and see if the cups back end picks up your printer on its
> own.

Thanks Mick! I will try again soon, this time on another Gentoo machine,
where the printer finally belongs. I just wanted to try it out and to
check the printing results. Well, this did not work at all, but at least I
know now that it should be supported, while before I was under the
impression I had to use a similar driver, and hope for good results.

        Wonko