Michael M writes:

> Hello list, I need to install Cairo bindings for dev-lang/php-5*.  Is
> there a pecl-cairo overlay for ~x86?  I've tried unmasking this
> package and adding the keyword ~amd64 and it seems to want to install
> with emerge but my system is ~x86.
>
> According to this site it is only ~amd64, but I cannot understand why.
> http://gpo.zugaina.org/dev-php5/pecl-cairo

As Sam pointed out, maybe it's working, but but just not tested on other
architectures. To try without modifying the ebuild, you could put the
package into /etc/portage/package.keywords, followed by a ~*. From the
portage man page:

  Note:
  In addition to the normal values from ACCEPT_KEYWORDS  package.keywords
  supports three special tokens:

  *  package is visible if it is stable on any architecture
  ~* package is visible if it is in testing on any architecture
  ** package is always visible (KEYWORDS are ignored completely)

        Wonko