On Sunday 30 January 2011 16:26:35 James wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
> > > killall kmix did nothing....
> >
> > Because, as Dale said, it's running as a kdeinit process. Use ps to get
> > the PID and kill that. KMix won't stat if it is already running, even if
> > that process has crashed.
>
> I did:
>
>  ps aux | grep kmix
> root     31977  0.0  0.0   6184   576 pts/2    S+   11:19
> 0:00 grep --colour=auto
>
> All that is(was) running was the grep process...
>
> I think I found the problem, but need a little guidance.
>
>  All prepared. Starting rebuild
> emerge --oneshot --pretend --with-bdeps y app-editors/xemacs:0
> app-office/akonadi-server:0
> app-text/libspectre:0
> dev-db/libdbi-drivers:0
> dev-lang/php:5.3
> dev-libs/apr-util:1
> dev-libs/cyrus-sasl:2
> dev-libs/redland:0
> kde-base/nepomuk:4.4
> media-gfx/imagemagick:0
> x11-libs/qt-sql:4

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to
> satisfy ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.
> 5[aqua=,-kdeprefix,semantic-desktop]"
>

> One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
>  kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.5-r2 (Change USE: +semantic-desktop)
> (dependency required by "kde-base/nepomuk-4.4.5" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "kde-base/nepomuk:4.4" [argument])
>

> Obviously I can do what it is advising me to do: add
> semantic-desktop to the USE flag in either the make.conf file
> or per package in packeage.use........... or such.
>
> What are the caveats of semantic-desktop and nepomuk?
> Can I just delete these and go my merry way, or
> where should I read up on these kde4 (pillar) requirements?
>

> Googling, I found this thread:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-799299-start-0.html
>
> Code:
> echo ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.0 semantic-desktop" >> /
> etc/portage/package.use
>
> I'm now running kde-4.4 and everything seems fine. My understanding
> of what I've done is that kdelibs is now set up to support any
> application which thinks it wants semantic-desktop on while all those
> applications with optional support for semantic-desktop know not to use
> semantic-desktop.
>

> Guidance and suggestions are warranted, methinks....

At some time in the past (like a year ago?) I had to add it to my make.conf
because some packages would not work without it, but forgot the details.  This
is what is currently using it on my system:

$ euse -I semantic-desktop
global use flags (searching: semantic-desktop)
[+ C  ] semantic-desktop - Cross-KDE support for semantic search and
information retrieval

Installed packages matching this USE flag:
kde-base/dolphin-4.4.5
kde-base/gwenview-4.4.5-r1
kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.4.5
kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.5-r2
kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.5
kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.9
kde-base/kget-4.4.5
kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.4.5
kde-base/pykde4-4.4.5-r1
net-wireless/kbluetooth-0.4.2

local use flags (searching: semantic-desktop)
[+ C  ] semantic-desktop (kde-base/pykde4):
Enables Nepomuk and Soprano python language bindings

A full KDE DE may need it more than this.

--
Regards,
Mick