On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:34:09AM -0600, Dale wrote

> I didn't tell portage to include KDE, qt, and a boatload of other stuff
> to be part of @system.  Did I enable the kde USE flag, yea.  That should
> be part of the world stuff not the system stuff.  If I disable kde, qt
> and all the others then my GUI is going to be junk if it would even work
> at all.

  What you're saying is that you want *SOME*, but not all, packages to
be built with certain flags.  That's what package.use was designed for.
If you enable "kde" globally in your USE var, everything that can be
built with KDE support will be built with KDE support.  If you enable it
for only certain packages, it will only show up for certain packages.

  You have "kde" and "symantic-desktop" in your USE, sorry, you're going
to pull in a lot of crap, no if's-and's-or's-but's.  BTW, I assure you
that I am absolutely neutral in the GNOME/KDE war...  the pox on both
their houses.  I didn't buy a computer to run desktops, I bought a
computer to run applications.

  Now it's possible that many of the flags in your "combined" USE are
pulled in by your profile.  The way to avoid that is to start your USE
with "-*" and only add what is absolutely necessary, either in USE in
make.conf or on a package-by-package basis in package.use.  I started
doing that some years ago after the developers "in their infinite
wisdom" decided to include "ipv6" by default.  Firefox and mplayer and
anything else that connected to the net would spin their wheels for 30
to 45 seconds, while IPV6 DNS requests timed out, and then fall back to
IPV4.  I did *NOT* appreciate that.

> I guess the kernel will have the kde USE flag next.  lol  At least
> that should be in @system tho.  ;-)

  Check your profile.  Is it kde-desktop?  And while you're at it, set
your "ALSA_CARDS" variable in /etc/make.conf.  It seems to be pulling in
everything by default.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>