Indi writes:

> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 03:10:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Along the way to successful boot, I attempted two emerges suggested by the
>> handbook (one being Grub Legacy). Both produced "ERROR: ... (compile
>> phase)..." errors.

If you like, post the messages here. Be sure to include enough of the
log, from the first error message on.

>> Today I attempted NFS mounting only to find messages
>> indicating I had neither portmap nor rpcbind running, so tried 'emerge
>> portmap'. This produced similar (compile phase)... line 2140: Called die..."
>> error. So did 'emerge rpcbind'. The way I normally provide logs when asking
>> for help is put them on my file/web server via NFS, hence the chicken & egg
>> subject line.

Have you emerged nfs-utils? Is /etc/init.d/nfs running? This should take
care of everything I think.

> Maybe a stupid question, but have you tried run emerge --sync and emerge
> -vauND world yet since installing?
>
>> Another problem, highly annoying, is both vga= and video= cmdline parameters
>> are apparently being ignored. KMS seems married to the Trinitron's
>> PreferredMode (1600x1200), which produces mousetype on the ttys, and needs
>> be fixed before I'll be able to accomplish much without pain trying to see
>> what I'm doing. My tty PreferredMode is 1152x864, which works with openSUSE
>> KMS kernels by setting video=1152x864 on cmdline.

I just switched to KMS mode, and was happy that without doing anything I
had the natural resolution of my display. Don't know how to change this
though. Does kernel command line parameter "vga=ask" still work maybe?

>> Any suggestions? Are such things in a FAQ somewhere? Do I need an older or
>> newer portage than Wednesday's? The Handbook stops at Finalizing, where
>> these
>> questions aren't covered.

There are several more howtos on gentoo.org, but I don't know if NFS and
console display are covered.

> Do you have your video card specified in make.conf?
> Should be somthing like:
>
> VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

I think that's for X-related stuff only.

        Wonko