On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:13:08 +0300, Cadaver wrote:

> I tried to update my gentoo instalation with 'emerge update world' ( i
> have kde-meta installed instead kde), but 'kolf' (probably it is some
> game from kdegames) failed to build. Then I remove kolf (I don't need
> it) and try 'emerge --pretend world', but 'kolf' and some other not
> installed packages from kde appear in the list. 'equery depends kolf'
> shows nothig. What's wrong with dependencies and how to prevent of
> installing some unwanted packages?

If you don't want all of kde, you shouldn't be installing kde-meta.

1) emerge -C kde-meta - this won't actually uninstall anything.

2) emerge depclean -p - this shows which packages are now considered not
                        needed.

3) Then add the packages you do want to world with emerge -n packagename
   Only add the packages you want, not their dependencies. Things like
   kdelibs, arts, libkonq etc should never be in world.

4) goto 2 until the list contains only packages you don't want

5) emerge depclean

You'll end up with a much leaner system. As an alternative to having
every KDE package in world, you could install some of the section meta
packages. I install kdebase-meta, kdenetwork-meta, kdeartwork-meta and
koffice-meta. the rest, I choose individual packages.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 30: Business ethics