On 7/2/2011 3:14 PM, Grant wrote:
After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
stick with Gentoo routers.  This increases the number of Gentoo
systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits.  What
can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
sure that's practical.  I need to put together a bunch of new
workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.

- Grant

You may want to look at something like a config management system. I'm using Puppet these days, but Gentoo support isn't spectacular. It would be a bit complex to have Puppet install the packages with the correct USE flags. However you could use Puppet to manage all the text files and then manage the packages somewhat manually.

Here's a snippet of a template for nrpe.cfg

<% if processorcount.to_i >= 12 then -%>
command[check_load]=<%= scope.lookupvar('nrpe::params::pluginsdir') %>/check_load -w 35,25,25 -c 35,25,25
<% elsif fqdn =~ /(.*)stage|demo(.*)/ then -%>
command[check_load]=<%= scope.lookupvar('nrpe::params::pluginsdir') %>/check_load -w 10,10,10 -c 10,10,10
<% else -%>
command[check_load]=<%= scope.lookupvar('nrpe::params::pluginsdir') %>/check_load -w 10,7,5 -c 10,7,5
<% end -%>

If you were managing a make.conf you could set -j<%= processorcount*2 %> or whatever as well as pass in your own settings etc. Once you have things working it's pretty good at keeping your servers in sync and doing minor customization per server based on OS, hardware, IP, hostname, etc.

kashani