On Thursday 07 July 2011 14:01:55 kashani did opine thusly:
> On 7/7/2011 1:37 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >>    You may want to look at something like a config management
> >
> > system.
> >
> >> I'm using Puppet these days, but Gentoo support isn't
> >> spectacular. It would be a bit complex to have Puppet install
> >> the packages with the correct USE flags. However you could
> >> use Puppet to manage all the text files and then manage the
> >> packages somewhat manually.
> >
> > Give chef a try.
> >
> > It overcomes a lot of the issue puppet ran into, and of course
> > makes new ones all of it's won, but by and large chef is more
> > flexible.
>
> Too late. I've already put a year in with Puppet and have too much
> working code to switch. Also I'm not much of a programmer so I get a
> bit more out of the DSL though my templates are getting fairly
> fancy these days. For anyone else interested in what we're talking
> about, here's a fairly balanced and up to date link talking about
> some of the differences.
>
> http://redbluemagenta.com/2011/05/21/puppet-vs-chef/

At least with puppet you can still work around shortcomings as you
find them (no black box tricks in puttet)

But regardless of it's quality, it's still 1,000,000's of times better
than doing it all manually!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com