Allan Gottlieb wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16 2011, Dale wrote:

Allan Gottlieb wrote:
One more thing.  Some readers were suggesting I need 8 or so GB for
libreoffice.  The failures occurred with 13GB.  Today's /mnt/junk
success required 16GB.  Fortunately sda8 has 50GB.
Dang !!

pkg_pretend() {
     if [[ ${MERGE_TYPE} != binary ]]; then
         CHECKREQS_MEMORY="1G"
         use debug&&  CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="15G" ||
CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="9G"
         check-reqs_pkg_pretend

That's a LOT of space.  9gbs of free space should be enough tho.
15Gbs if you use debug.
Perhaps 9GB "should" be enough.  But 16GB is needed.  And eix confirms
that I don't have debug

allan

ajglap gottlieb # eix libreoffice
[I] app-office/libreoffice
[snip]
      Installed versions:  3.4.99.1-r1(05:56:10 PM 12/16/2011)(branding dbus
eds gnome graphite gstreamer gtk jemalloc nsplugin opengl svg vba webdav xmlsec
-aqua -binfilter -debug -elibc_FreeBSD -gtk3 -java -kde -kdeenablefinal -mysql
-odk -pdfimport -postgres -test)

I got what I posted from the ebuild.  This is the path and what it expects:

root@fireball / # cat /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/libreoffice-3.4.99.1-r1.ebuild | grep DISK use debug && CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="15G" || CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="9G"
root@fireball / #

If I read that correctly, 9Gbs of free space should be enough. Note that is FREE space not the size of the partition. It doesn't actually need that much in most cases but how much depends on USE flags and such. The devs take what is the maximum it could take and make it look for at least that much. Nobody wants to get that about 90% compiled to run out of space.

If yours is looking for more than that then I would think it is something outside the ebuild that is causing a issue. While it does take a lot of space at times, I have never seen it take 16Gbs. I have portages work directory on tmpfs and it never gives me a error and I only have 16Gbs of ram.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"