>> My firewall is blocking periodic outbound connections to port 3680 on
>> a Rackspace IP.  How can I find out more about what's going on?  Maybe
>> which program is generating the connection requests?
>
> Uh, a packet sniffer?
>
> I have an old laptop here that I have a second (cardbus) network card in.
> Really cheap and cheerful - the sort of thing you can pick up on freecycle.
> It's been a while since I've done anything like this, but you should be able
> to stick a box like that between the router and the rest of your network, run
> Wireshark and filter on that port. If the connection is encrypted then at
> least you'll see the originating IP.

I've actually got the originating local IP from the shorewall log.
I'm just trying to figure out which program and maybe which user on
that system is generating the outbound requests to port 3680.  Is
there any way to get more info without setting up a new box?

> I don't think it's relevant that the IP belongs to Rackspace - don't they
> just hire (virtual) servers to anyone that wants one?

Yeah I just meant the request could be going to "anyone".

- Grant