On 01/22/2012 02:29 PM, Grant wrote:

Since my local firewall is rejecting the outbound requests, the time
elapsed between the request and the block should be very short.  Is it
possible the 'sleep 1' portion of the script is causing the failure to
log the connection request?  The outbound connection is only attempted
a few times per day.  If so, how would you recommend fixing that?

If the firewall is being nice and rejecting the connection, then yeah, it could be opening/closing in under a second. `sleep` doesn't require an integer[1], so you can probably have it sleep for 0.1s or something like that.

I'm also wondering if there is a command I could run on the
router/firewall machine that would log something from the outbound
request.  Even if the information logged isn't useful, it would be
nice to see a confirmation of the outbound requests logged from
somewhere besides the firewall.

What kind of firewall is it? Can you update the rules? If so, make it silently drop outbound connections instead of rejecting them; that way, the connection will hang open for a little bit.

[1] This is probably a bash-ism, but it works here.