On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:07:38PM +0200, Raffaele BELARDI wrote

> Strange, I didn't have to add that USE for apvlv to build.
> Looks like it should be pulled in by the ebuild:
>
> $ grep xpdf-headers /usr/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.20.2-r1.ebuild
> IUSE="cairo cjk curl cxx debug doc +introspection jpeg jpeg2k +lcms png
> qt4 tiff +utils +xpdf-headers"
>
> >From man 5 ebuild:
> IUSE   This should be a list of any and all USE flags that are leveraged
> within your build script. ... Beginning  with  EAPI 1,  it  is possible
> to prefix flags with + or - in order to create default settings that
> respectively enable or disable the corresponding USE flags.
>
> But it did not work for you so probably there is a bug somewhere.

  "IUSE" is "Inherited USE".  The "bug", if you want to call it that, is
that I start my USE variable with "-*", which overrides default
settings.  The bugfix is to make app-text/poppler[xpdf-headers]
mandatory for the apvlv ebuild.  In that case, the ebuild will halt with
an error message stating that app-text/poppler[xpdf-headers] is needed.
This beats the ebuild compile dying with a message about missing files.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>