On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
>> > more or less following these steps:
>> > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
>> > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
>> > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
>> > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
>> > 5. print
>
>> > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
>> > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.
>
>> More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
>> box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
>> order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
>> box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)
>
> Wow, when I go into CUPS, I do not even see brother
> listed. (localhost:631) on a gentoo system.
>
> this link:
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
>
> did list many brother printers,but not the
> one  I'm interested in :
>
> Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet
>

> What did you do to your cups to get it to show (flags?)
> brother printers as an option to install a brother printer?
>
> Here are my flags:
>
> Installed versions:  1.5.2-r4^t(00:11:27 09/13/12)(X acl dbus filters gnutls
> java jpeg ldap pam perl png python slp ssl threads tiff usb -avahi <snip>
>
> Maybe the debian system has other additional software installed
> besides cups?

Looking at dependencies, these may be relevant packages installed on
the debian box:

cups-driver-gutenprint
foomatic-db
foomatic-engine

So, I may be wrong about my print server not doing translation. Or
maybe my print server is providing IPP clients with the appropriate
PPD file to generate printer commands. I really don't know. My setup
seems to just work.

You might poke net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds and
net-print/gutenprint. Really, I'd suggest you try
net-print/foomatic-*; it's easier to shotgun it and reduce to a
minimal working set than attack it from the other direction.

--
:wq