On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> I just did 'emerge -pv digikam' for 3.3.0
> & it wants to install  54  pkgs, incl  systemd ;
>  10  pkgs are KDE & include Marble.
>
> Is my surprise justified ?

Yes, I think it is. Probably gphoto2 pulls GNOME stuff, which in turn
pulls systemd. Support for gphoto2 in digikam is optional, I belive;
the easiest solution is to USE="-gphoto2".

If you are willing to spend a little time investigating, I bet you can
install gphoto2 without systemd, but you need to see what is pulling
it. My bet would be PolicyKit.

The thing is, GNOME 3 now need systemd. Therefore, a lot of GNOME
packages are setting their defaults dependencies to pull packages in
such a way that systemd is one of them. If you don't use GNOME, but
install one of its packages (or something that pulls something else
from GNOME), you can pull *by default* systemd.

However, I'm pretty sure you can configure out systemd without too
much problem (if you don't use GNOME 3, that is).

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México