On 12/23/13 18:12, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> Anything you can provide, it's not clear to the rest of us how many
> computers are involved. Is the web/mail server only the gatway, or is
> that the workstation that you're using (when, for example, trying to
> access the website)?

This is my home network, 10.2.0.0/16. Multiple computers with
Windows/Linux/Mac. On some subnets, I have gadgets that also need access
to the internet.

The linux PC is the internet gateway with a static IP from my ISP. But
it is also used as my Linux workstation. The web server and email server
must be accessible from the internet and they are accessible if the
tunnel isn't up.

> What IP address are you using to access the web server? Its internal
> one, or its external one? Is the website supposed to be visible externally?

I can access both the web server and the mail server from the internal
network, no problems there. But, when the VPN tunnel comes up, all
external accesses stop working.

> It might also help to know which routes are set up by the VPN. Once
> you've connected to an OpenVPN server, it usually pushes a bunch of
> routes to the client (so that the client knows how to route to the VPN
> without caring about the details). A `sudo route -n` or `sudo ip route
> show` should suffice once we know which IPs belong to whom.

bonsai ~ # ip route show
default via 92.44.0.41 dev ppp0  metric 4007
10.2.1.0/24 dev eno1  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.2.1.254
10.2.2.0/24 dev enp1s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.2.2.254
10.2.3.0/24 dev enp8s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.2.3.254
92.44.0.41 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 176.41.233.165
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope host
127.0.0.0/8 via 127.0.0.1 dev lo

Here, 10.2.1.0 is the main subnet with the various Windows/Linux/Mac
PC's. The other two subnets have electronic gadgets that also need
internet access. I keep them on separate subnets while I do embedded
software development on them so that the are isolated them from the main
subnet.