Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

>      I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
> environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
> internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home. Does
> anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've looked at
> Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.

adding packages to *ubuntu* after installation, is trivial and part
of normal system maintenance. As others have stated, you can use
catalyst to create your own gentoo-derivative OS, thus controlling
what software the students are using (hopefully).  On most every
install of linux, it's fairly simple and routine to downloand and
install new software; so assess your goals of keeping them each
rigidly on the same install base of whatevery distro you select to use.

There are 2 differnt gentoo derivatives I'd suggest:

Pentoo, is most excellent for the security minded. (weak on community
support).....
http://www.pentoo.ch/isos/

Arch linux is fantastic for noobs..... who want a Gentoo_ish distro!
https://www.archlinux.org/download/

ymmv,
hth,
James